Need Advice on G11

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
I just finished a knife with g11 handle material . This is what happened I drilled it against a piece of maple the exit hole when the drill come through kinda like shattered its way out I went slow. and I cant sand it down cuzz . I tried to use super glue and that didnt fill in the shatter marks. Was mt drill bit dull ?????????? What went wrong.
HPIM2011.jpg
HPIM2010.jpg

The way I do my scales is like this. I get the knife back from heat treat then profile the scales , then glue one side on then drill my holes because the steel is hardened I cant drill the metal . If I drill the holes the scales wont match up well, I dont know. Then I glue the second scale and drill through the hole outward on the handle material second scale.

What I do , I lay the left side scale down under the right side of the handle , and drill thru ( this way I am drilling from the inside out ) , I reverse and do the same for the other scale, then I test fit them together , scribe along the profile of the tang and remove the excess , get em profiled to about 1/16 from the tang , taken them off the knife , clamp together using the pins to align and shape and finish the front of the scales .... after that , glue em both to the tang at the same time.

Another way to do this, is to use transfer punches.After one scale is clamped up, use the appropriate size punch, and punch the scale.Drill this with a small bit, this flakes out much less.Then drill from the outside in using your small hole as a guide with the right size bit.Do the same with the other scale.After gluing you can use the appropriate size reamer to true up any tighness issues.Dave:)

Another way to do this, is to use transfer punches.After one scale is clamped up, use the appropriate size punch, and punch the scale.Drill this with a small bit, this flakes out much less.Then drill from the outside in using your small hole as a guide with the right size bit.Do the same with the other scale.After gluing you can use the appropriate size reamer to true up any tighness issues.Dave:)

+1 for the transfer punches.

BC

Back