Getting hurt a new way..

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Hey I want credit for inventing a brand new way to get hurt. I'm building a new assembly bench and I took down an existing light fixture (left the box hot and wide open, of course). On the next trip out I decided to grab a bundle of fishing rods from the corner of my shop and, you guessed it, stuck the tips right in the hot box. They WERE graphite and boron and they fried up nicely. So did I cuz I was holding the middle of the bundle and not the insulated grips.
Shocking, to say the least.. Don't fish in the lightning and dont stick things you want to keep in an electrical fixture.

Regards,
Still Smokin" Steve

Yes sir, Steven, it looks like you thunk up a new one. Glad to hear that the only thing that you lost was your fishing pole.

Doug Lester

Sorry I had to laugh when I read this, that's a new one for sure. I'm glad you are alright, it's a shame about the fishing rods though. Never used to be but I am extremely careful around electricity now days. I have a pacemaker now and I would hate to charge that thing up.

Goes to show no matter how careful you think you are bad things can still happen in the shop.

Larry

Glad it turned out no worse that it did -- sorry about your rods though. But if you're feeling bad about them, then watch this guy destroy a bunch of them: http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Worst_Fisherman_Ever_15_2007.php -- whenever I get to feeling that I must be the worst @#$#up ever, I watch this guy and feel much better.

Probably one of the most interesting ways to hurt yourself I've heard of lately was buffing wire (twisted wire I think it was) -- buffer grabs the wire and you're standing in front of a high speed wire whipping machine.

Thumb Damage.

I guess this is the worst of it. This is where my thumb contacted one of the line guides on a rod. I think the white skin around it is called necrotic or dead.:eek:

Sparky (er, I mean Steve)

Last edited:
You need to hang a rabbits foot right away. I was accident prone before havent scratched myself since. Before the rabbits foot was hung just to let you know it was 3 visits to the hospital and about 20 stiches total. Pushing my finger into the router really hurt though.

"Sparky", I'm sorry, when I looked at the above post it appeared to me that I was laughing at you. Not true, I thought that my suggestion was funny. Seriously, we all need to be more carefull.

Some guys never learn about the hazards of sticking their poles in dangerous places.ooops Just joshin, glad you're OK, although that thumb looks pretty sore.

Glad you are OK but sorry for the loss of you rods.

We are always finding new ways to make smoke. Once I was moving my stereo system. I disconnected the wires from a speaker and dropped it on the floor. The two bare ends of the wire bounced right into an electrical outlet on the wall and smoked my receiver. I couldn't do that again if I tried a million times.

OOH, that's gonna leave a mark. Glad it wasn't any worse than it was.

You won't have any trouble telling when a blade starts getting too warm for a while.

Hope it heals up soon,
Carey

Back