Would this make you mad?

Tod Lowe

A co-worker/friend wanted me to make a a knife for him.
We are pretty good friends so as a gift I did file work down the spine at no charge. He didnt order it that way but I knew he would love it because of his comments of previous stuff I had done.
I made the knife and he did love it. It was some of my best work to date and I was proud for him to get it. This was a few months ago.

Now he sent me a text asking me about how to ship it because hes giving it to his cousin as a b-day present.huh1:mad:

Im not sure if I should be mad or not. Maybe just take it as a lesson learned?

Well, once its theirs they can do with it as they please. I understand that it hurts when someone doesn't appreciate you effort to do something special for them. Maybe it will end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate more than your friend did.

I once stayed up all night working on a special knife for someone so it could be delivered on Christmas. I never even received a "thank you" for it. I didn't get mad about it but it was the last gift they got from me.

Well, once its theirs they can do with it as they please. I understand that it hurts when someone doesn't appreciate you effort to do something special for them. Maybe it will end up in the hands of someone who will appreciate more than your friend did.

I once stayed up all night working on a special knife for someone so it could be delivered on Christmas. I never even received a "thank you" for it. I didn't get mad about it but it was the last gift they got from me.

Words of wisdom man.
I never thought of it going to someone who would actually appreciate it.
I feel a little better about it now.cool 1

Don't take it as a negative. His cousin is likely a very special person to him, and this is his way of showing it.

That would be a bummer. But to look at it fro another way. Some people don't care enough about knives to buy a knife for themselves. However, sometimes they care enough about you to order one from you when they need a gift for someone or they recommend you to others. Shoot I haven't even made my wife a knife yet because she just isn't that into knives.

The file work was your taking pride and finding joy in what you do, putting a part of yourself into your work. Beyond that, it was ordered by him and he paid for it. I don't see a reason to be upset. If you made it for him entirely as a gift, it might be different.

I agree with Rock,only I will add,I think it would have kinda bad if he would have told you that he really liked your filework and ask as a friend would you do the filework,and not charge extra.I guess even at that,when he paid for it,it belong to him.

Would I be mad?.......No.

God bless,Keith

Shankmaker,

I'd take it as a compliment to both you and your knife that your pal liked the knife enough and had the confidence to give it as a gift to a family member.

As to the filework, I like Ed Caffrey's take on custom knifemaking, under promise and over deliver. That filework may just be the very thing that ends up getting you another order or two down the road.

Pal- "Boy I wish I had kept that knife ! Oh well. Guess I'll order another."
Cousin- "This is the best knife ever ! I gotta get another for XYZ purpose."

Think positive Bro !

-Josh

Maybe when he ordered the knife he was ordering it as a gift. A really special gift. He probably just did not realize that we fall in love with our work and didn't realize that you thought that he was buying it for himself.
Be careful about adding extra work unless you tell them that you did this extra because of your special relationship. They get to expect it and feel that they got shorted on the second order that does not have the "extra".

Hey shank,

This something we have all run into if we've been at it a while. The guys have it just right. Do what you do as a labor of love, then send it out to find it's own way in the world. ;~)

I've made knives and sold them for what I wanted and then the owner was offered BIG money for the knife at a hunting camp or something. So they sold it.

I've even had clients call me from hunting camps to ask me if it's ok to sell it. Of course I always say YES. I'll make you a new one just like it or better!

It usually comes back to you in the course of time. The guys are right. Your buddy probably didn't see it like that. He just wants his cousin to have something special.

Once the knife is out of my hands , be it sold or gift , it is no longer mine , when you give something , give it un-conditionally.

I have given knives to folks , only to be told later they need another as they sold it , no problem , I will gladly make them another , though this time it ain't gonna be a gift :)

after awhile, your emotional attachment to completed knives changes. You can still have the passion about making them but they get easier to ship. In fact, some times you are just glad to get rid of the blasted thing and you hope you never lay eyes on it again...

that could just be me though..

In fact, some times you are just glad to get rid of the blasted thing and you hope you never lay eyes on it again...

that could just be me though..

I think Bruce Bump said something similar.

I hate being so attached to what I make. I think it's because I don't make enough. Soon to change I hope.

Shank,
I have figured out a way to stop this for knives I make for someone I consider special to me, when I ordered my Etch-o-Matic I got the package that include the stencil maker, I make a special stencil that says something like, "made for so and so", I might add a little quote, I keep it extremely short, and to the point, one thing I do is make sure I put their name on it, as in "Custom made for So and So". I usually put it on the spine, I try not to put too much on the blade unless room dictates.

I guess if I was in the same position as you, I would take it as a compliment and I agree with the others that the new owner may appreciate it more than he does. And once he paid for it, it does belong to him, to do with as wants. Of course he would never get any kind of special extras or treatment for anything else he wanted. Life is way to short to be upset about the crap other people do, it's one of those things you make a mental note of and remember. Just my 2 cents, Rex

Shank, I knew a guy who gave his girlfriend breast implants. She dumped him and married another guy. HE had something to get upset over.

I read some of the other posts ,and this is my feelings. If he was going to use it as a throwing knife ide let him know. But he might be giving his cousin that may be like a brother to him and special gift something really special. This means alot to the reciever as well most of the time. I would just be proud to be the maker of a fine knife going to a good home. Your friend must hold you in high regards in doing so. kellyw

Back