Build a Belt Grinder

I have gotten some questions about my workshops and getting a NWG together. I will try to answer those questions here. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask me here and I will try to respond for everyone's benefit. Of course, if you would rather communicate me directly either by PM or by using the e-mail address or phone # on the brochure feel free.
A few questions about your grinder, once completed is it a 110v or 220v system? Also once built are all of the attachments in your brochure included in the build for the $900?
Imma throw this at you, I have no way of attending your workshops due to some personal responsibilities, what would it cost me to get the parts sent to me if they are already fabbed ready to put together, I have access to an arc welder. This is assuming that you have some type of instructions.

The motors that I have been using can be wired for either 110v or 220v. By default I wire them for 110v but if you would rather have it wired for 220v just let me know before the workshop so that I can be sure and have the right parts (plug and switch).
These motors draw 11 amps at 110v and 6 amps at 220v. This saves a little less than half the electricity. Unless you are running a large shop with 15 grinders running 8 hours a day I think that the convenience of 110v is the better than the savings. 220v does not give you any more hp or torque.
The pictures on the brochure show one tool arm. This arm can be rotated by loosening one 1/2" bolt and turning the desired area to the front. The arm has a 2" poly wheel and an 8" poly wheel. The pictures show the 8" wheel to the front, or the 2" wheel to the front, or the slack belt to the front, or with the flat platen to the front. Neat, huh? This is all for the $900.00 price. You leave the workshop with a grinder ready to take home, plug in and go to work.
Tracy sells most all the parts need for building the NWG, including a kit. I have gone through his grinder page at www.usaknifemaker.com and priced out all of the parts that he has there. To build the NWG, using the kit and parts available there will cost $976.94, plus a motor (about $150.00) and miscellaneous parts such as wiring, switch, etc. (about $25.00) for a total of $1,151.94.
If you buy the parts, including the Kit and use the parts as I build it, it will cost about $986.94, assuming that Tracy has started producing the rotating bar which, I think, he was anticipating selling for $120.00 to $130.00. See his post at New Swivel Arm attachment Proof of Concept test on his Midwest Knifemaker page on Knife Dogs.As you can see the workshop is cheaper than just buying all of the parts off of USA Knifemaker (I had not previously done this comparison and maybe should have). Of course if you don’t buy the kit and get all of the metal parts as scrap or drops you save some of the $350.00 but then have to buy the plans for $25.00. Maybe you can find a good used motor and reduce the $150.00 for that expense.
Other than you attending a workshop I think that the best I can do is build you the grinder and ship it to you for $1,300.00 plus shipping and handling or $900.00 for all of the parts plus a copy of the NWG plans. I will have all parts labled with Sharpie Marker and any notes that I think you will need. I will also give you whatever telephone or e-mail support you need.

Last edited:
Back