Question about inherited knife

D

Dragon Balzak

Hello to all the Knife Dogs out there.

I am looking for information about a very special knife I own. I've looked all over the internet for anything regarding this knife with little luck.

My older brother, a former Special Forces reservist stationed in Miami passed away about 13 years ago and left me, among other things, a beautiful knife with the following Markings:

008; Special Forces (along with the Special Forces emblem); a logo of a circle bearing a palm tree in the center and the words Miller Largo, Fl

I gather the 008 is a serial number and the Miller logo is that of the manufacturer - Ron Miller of Largo, Florida who, I believe, has passed away.

That's all I've been able to gather so far. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I'm sorry I can't offer information to assist you, but others may be able to help. I'm sure a photo of the knife and mark would not only be helpfull, but also enjoyable to all of is knife nuts.

When you get a chance, jump up to the introduction page and tell us about yourself. Welcome to the pack!

There also are quite a few knife clubs and a few knifemaker organizations in FL., if you google Florida knife clubs and start contacting them I'm sure you'll get some info fast.

From the information I have found in "Knives 2008", this knife meets the description of ones made by:

Ronald T. Miller
12922 127th Ave. N.
Largo, Fl.
(813) 595-0378 (available after 5 p.m.)

His mark is described as being "Name, City, and state in Palm Tree logo". He sold his first knife in 1984. His choice of blade steels are D-2, 440C, and ATS-34.

From looking at the photos, I would say that the handle material is Linen Micarta. I have no idea as to which blade steel was used as any of the three listed steels of choice could have been used in this piece. It is deffinitely a great piece to inherit and surely will be cherished by you and your family.

As a soldier, I would recommend building a shadow box for this piece and include photos of your brother as well as some of his commendations. I have seen this done in the past and it creates an amazing presentation to where you can not only enjoy the piece but also honor the memory of your brother and his accomplishments, dedication, and service to our nation.

Thank you for sharing the photos with us.

Last edited:
The handle looks like green/black linen Micarta. As far as the steel, considering the high polish, I would not expect it to be D2 -- so take your pick of 440C or ATS34. Nice - looks like a really high quality piece of work.

Awesome! I'm glad I came here for info. Thanks, guys.

Murph, it never occured to me to display this knife since I had put it away soon after my brother's death and pretty much forgot about it as it was my intention to pass it on to my son one day as a family heirloom. What a horrible mistake!!

As I was reading your suggestion to make the shadow box in honor of my brother and his accomplishments (he was very proud of wearing that green beret), I was overwhelmed by emotions I had forgotten I had for him.

As an avid woodworker, I will take great pleasure in making a shadow box and displaying my brother's legacy with pride and honor. Thank you for your suggestion. I will post pictures of the final piece. Stay tuned.

Ivan

Ivan, I will wait anxiously to see your creation. If you need any help acquiring copies of his commendations let me know. I'll let you know what documents I'll need in order to get them for you.

Last edited:
I also look forward to seeing the box you build,as well as the items`that you will display.

Good on ya Murph,offering to help him out.Ivan,most all here are willing to help wherever they can.

God bless,Keith`

Thanks for the kind offer.

I will contact his widow to see what she has and see what she will part with first.

Ivan

Ivan,

If you have her contact his old group, they may be willing to provide you with duplicates of his awards (ie. ribbons and medals) and unit insignia.

The knife

I was a member of that unit. If you want more info on the unit, the knife , etc., e-mail me at cardenrobert@aol.com.

hello to all the knife dogs out there.

I am looking for information about a very special knife i own. I've looked all over the internet for anything regarding this knife with little luck.

My older brother, a former special forces reservist stationed in miami passed away about 13 years ago and left me, among other things, a beautiful knife with the following markings:

008; special forces (along with the special forces emblem); a logo of a circle bearing a palm tree in the center and the words miller largo, fl

i gather the 008 is a serial number and the miller logo is that of the manufacturer - ron miller of largo, florida who, i believe, has passed away.

That's all i've been able to gather so far. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Back