Best Bang For The Bucks 2009

STR

Here lately I've learned that as conscious as I thought I was about what is currently out there in the hands of end line users I've managed to get mailed a couple surprises in the way of knives that flew below my radar. While not all of these are/were ones I'd put in the best bang for the buck category one was for sure and that model was the Spyderco Persistence folder which has to be a stand out so far for me for new models for 2009. What I saw in this folder was every bit as much to offer as the the much higher priced Khukri that was just here with the only real differences being that one is made in China and the other in Japan. Otherwise you'd be hard pressed to justify spending so much more for so little more in perceived quality.

So, out of curiousity what are some others that may have flown below my radar that you would place in the best bang for the buck category for newer models just released in mid to late 2008 up to now say over the last year. Just FYI I consider all aspects of the folders I get mailed to me looking for this type folder. I rarely work on fixed so don't keep up there so this is mostly folders I'm wanting to list out no matter where they are made but for the purposes of this thread we'll just restrict them to made on Earth. So if its made on our planet it can count if all else equals a deal :D

In the past I always said the Tarani 5.11 Investigator and Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter folders were two very good examples of knives that offer a whole lot to the user for little investment. The JYDII by Kershaw was another one I felt deserved this category when it first came out. Typically these knives have the fit and finish you'd expect in higher dollar top the line models or offer some other features, edge geometry that really offers performance, blade steel at or above what you'd expect in a knife of this price point and perhaps even more like quality thicker liners, textured G10 or exotic looking handle scales, low rider clips and so on.

Come on. I know you guys keep up some with this. Even if I've heard about it list them out some here. It may make someone a buck selling them.
STR

I have 1 from Byrd Knives.

Around December of 08 they released a frame lock folder called the CatByrd.
I think I paid $35 tops. It has a flat grind leaf shape blade of 8Cr13MoV.
Blade is about 3.75” with the classic Spyderco finger choil and jimping. It has stainless steel scales which make it a bit heavy but not slippery. On the opposite side of the lock & clip (right hand tip up only) it has that grippy stuff that you would find on the Kershaw Blur. It’s only on the one side.
It won’t rip your pockets up making contact between clip and “grippy stuff” (It’s probably just rubber with a fancy name.) unsure

The blade opens like it has a rocket attached to it’s butt. :eek:
I thought it was an AO the first time I opened it. Solid lock up with open back screw construction.
Sharp as can be out of the box…..I mean plastic wrap.

I rarely hear if ever anyone mention this knife. I believe it belongs in the “Bang For Your Buck” category. At least top 10 anyway.

EDC?????????? Too heavy but when you have little cash and a lot of pocket space it’s a winner.

Last edited:
Sorry if I shouldn't be waking this zombie thread, but I'm amazed that only one person replied!

I feel the Boker Plus line does pretty well, especially the Trance model. The 3" leaf blade of AUS-8 in an open frame with a frame lock fits my hand and my hip pocket well for a bargain price -- IMHO. Those who prefer tip-up in their right front pockets can move the clip easily. It is so thin and light it almost disappears in my pocket until I need it. It is definitely in my EDC rotation until I get a lot more disposable income. It is good enough (for me) that it will take a pretty amazing knife to bump it into the backup drawer.

I am not sure when it was released but the Buck vantage pro gets my vote. It's the 110 of the 21st century.:sleeping dog:

Back