Family time in the shop

papi

Hello everyone,
i had a bad case of hangover and a bad hair today, so i thought i would take it easy in the shop, and maybe do some fun projects :) Well, then my little cousin showed up, and after he's been helping me yesterday, i figured i owed it to him to spend some time with him. He's been bugging me lately about making his own knife, start to finish. So we started on a knife together, well to be more accurate, he was doing all the work, and i just stood there telling him what to do (and complained about how loud the machines are :D ). He didn't have any major screw-up, and i'm looking forward to him starting on the first 'real' knife. This time it was just a practice knife made of wood. But we had a lot of fun nevertheless.
Enjoy the pics :)

Here is a piece of cherry wood with the handles and blade drawn (he even made his own pattern, his own design, haven't used one of mine)
IMG_4286.jpg

Here he is, cutting them out on my bandsaw
IMG_4287.jpg

All the parts cut out and profiled, superglued to the milling machine table, ready to be thinned down.
IMG_4288.jpg

I have to say i was paying more attention to my cuz not getting hurt than to the camera, so i skipped a few steps, and here is the finished knife. It is all cherry wood, with brass pins. It's not finished anyway fancy, as it was just practice. And because the little bugger ran away with it to his parents to brag about how he made it himself :)
IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

See what i mean about a bad hair day ? :D :D :D :D At least little George is happy :)
IMG_4292.jpg

Thanks for looking, take care

Ondrej

Thanks guys :) I really think he's got some talent in him, and i figured it would be a shame to let it got to waste, right? :)

looks like a great day in the shop... thanks for posting that.

Nice going and very nice wooden knife, papi! 2thumbs Your little cousin had a great experience many of us never had the pleasure of.

Teaching is very rewarding and I feel is a huge part of being a knife maker. Your cousin's look on his face says it all :D

Back