Other Hobbies

NoahL

Hello Everyone,

I was just curious what hobbies all the dogs here have outside of knifemaking/collecting? For instance, I do Judo (and I have a tournament Saturday :p) and I volunteer at a sanctuary for abandoned and abused domestic rabbits. What about you guys/gals?

~Noah

My main hobby is Astronomy. I like to observe the skies and take pictures.

First love is all things firearms.

Close second is collecting knives, if I can keep them long enough anyway.

Knifemaking has now consumed me, I plan on sticking to this hobby for life!

Anything outdoors, hunting/fishing/hiking/photography etc.

MMA is always good. Hope you get some footage of your tournament! Big fan of MMA2thumbs Good luck to you!

Chris

Prior to 9/11, my primary hobby was K-9 Search and Rescue. My akita, "Arashi-Ko" and I spent most of our weekends and some of our week nights tracking and trailing just about anyone I could get to volunteer to hide in the woods (or one of my office buildings). Unfortunately, I had to retire Arashi in late '02 due to being diagnosed with Sebaceous Adenitis. It really effected her stamina and I was afraid it was just too much stress on her. Most dogs who are diagnosed with "S.A." are put down within 6 months to a year due to complications and unbearable pain. Arashi has been living with it for a little over seven years now and still doing pretty good for an eleven year old.

Now the only hobbies I have remaining all pretty much involve knives. I'm either working on sketching new designs, reading about the new crazes, or spending my time lurking around on K.D. Of course, I still spend a little time hanging out at the local gun shops as well.

Thats awesome Murph!!! Sounds like a great time2thumbs

Very sorry to hear about your Akita, beautiful pups. But sounds like she is doing just fine hangin in there!!!

Prior to 9/11, my primary hobby was K-9 Search and Rescue. My akita, "Arashi-Ko" and I spent most of our weekends and some of our week nights tracking and trailing just about anyone I could get to volunteer to hide in the woods (or one of my office buildings). Unfortunately, I had to retire Arashi in late '02 due to being diagnosed with Sebaceous Adenitis. It really effected her stamina and I was afraid it was just too much stress on her. Most dogs who are diagnosed with "S.A." are put down within 6 months to a year due to complications and unbearable pain. Arashi has been living with it for a little over seven years now and still doing pretty good for an eleven year old.

Now the only hobbies I have remaining all pretty much involve knives. I'm either working on sketching new designs, reading about the new crazes, or spending my time lurking around on K.D. Of course, I still spend a little time hanging out at the local gun shops as well.

I have too many hobbies and they take too much money and too much time, but I wouldn't give a one up.

ride safe My first love is and always has been motorcycles. I have a nice shop where I used to build custom bikes. Mostly trikes in the latter years but had to slow down because of health.

I do primitive and Native American crafts. I make Native American ceremonial pipes. I do paintings on slate. I am a member of a bucskinner club. Up to this year I danced at powwows. And in my spare time I study what ever strikes me at the time.

Whew! no wonder I'm tired all the time. LOL :D

Larry

As an extension of my passion for canoeing I have been carving paddles for quite a while. For a number of years I used to offer workshops and demos as well.

I use traditional hand tool (draw knife, hand planes spoke shave,, rasps, and files) to do the bulk of the work. My favorite woods are Cherry, Black Walnut, Peruvian Black Walnut, and Mahogany.

Here's some pretty bad shots of my work:

img122134tl.jpg

dsc012963yy2.jpg

This is one I finished a couple years ago that now gets regular use. Air-dried Cherry w/ Wenge' laminated grips and inlaid Swordfish sword medallions.

dsc02083sm6.jpg

dsc02087lf0.jpg

dsc02084yj3.jpg

dsc02085kz1.jpg

And so the new paddle takes it's rightful place on the rack:
dsc02088wk5.jpg

My paddles get a lot of use!!
dsc009672zb1.jpg

Last edited:
That is some stellar work Dacks. Amazing paddles. I know if canoeing was a hobby of mine I would be all over a couple pair of them. Thanks for sharing, your pride shows in your work.

Keep on truckin bud.

Chris

As an extension of my passion for canoeing I have been carving paddles for quite a while. For a number of years I used to offer workshops and demos as well.

I use traditional hand tool (draw knife, hand planes spoke shave,, rasps, and files) to do the bulk of the work. My favorite woods are Cherry, Black Walnut, Peruvian Black Walnut, and Mahogany.

img122134tl.jpg

dsc012963yy2.jpg

This is one I finished a couple years ago that now gets regular use. Air-dried Cherry w/ Wenge' laminated grips and inlaid Swordfish sword medallions.

dsc02083sm6.jpg

dsc02087lf0.jpg

dsc02084yj3.jpg

dsc02085kz1.jpg

dsc02088wk5.jpg

dsc009672zb1.jpg

img122134tl.jpg

dsc012963yy2.jpg

dsc02083sm6.jpg

dsc02087lf0.jpg

dsc02084yj3.jpg

dsc02085kz1.jpg

dsc02088wk5.jpg

dsc009672zb1.jpg

Very nice work! If I had the money, I'd probably see if I could commission you to make an eku (Okinawan oar/paddle) or two.

~Noah

As I said before, my main hobby is Astronomy. Here's a couple of pictures I took with a camera hooked up to one of my telescopes.
Jupiter with it's moon Io

Jupiter65.jpg

Saturn with the Cassini Division in the rings.

SaturnLB55.jpg

Wow those are some awesome pics for taking them yourself. Must be a nice telescope I've always been interested in space, it fascinates me in so many ways.

My biggest other hobby would have to be archery. I've been doing it for more than half my life. I shot competitively in 3-D archery for quite a few years. The bulk of it in the fingers class then moving onto a release when I hit my personal goal of making it the top 25 at the IBO World Championships (finished either 22nd or 23rd I forget offhand). I haven't shot at the competitive level for a few years but still love sending arrows downrange and at whitetails.

I was fairly active in Jeet Kune Do (some call it the original MMA :)) for a few years which I loved but my instructor wound up not teaching anymore and I haven't been able to find a school that's easily accessible. Although I don't even know if I'd have the time to go anymore anyway.

I shoot Metalic Silhouettes,Both handgun aand lever action rifle.
I'm The Calif.State Director of the International Handgun Metalic Silhouette Assoc.
Just love to knock down steel
Oh, also hunt with a handgun

Other than knifemaking....It would be my children.
My son and I collect coins.
My daughter,loves anything outdoors...Hunting,fishing,any kind of ball playing.

God bless,Keith

My wife, Marecho, my daughter, Raeny (whom I now home school), my dogs; Murphy & Mollie,caricaturing, designing web sites, Improv, Internet Marketing, reading, tattoos, photography, MMA/UFC, graphic arts, dogs, volleyball, shooting sports, knives, and Mensa.

I am an ordained minister through the Universal Life Church in Modesto, California and have held an honorary Doctorate of Divinity from them since the early nineties. Big fun in the Bible Belt Buckle.

I am also a member of the International Society of Caricature Artists (ISCA), Mensa, and a former Mason.

dsc012963yy2.jpg

Those are freakin cool man, ever do any in Koa? :)

Shooting archery. Archery is how i make my living also. I make Bow wrist slings for mathews archery and several other companies.I try to shot a few arrows every day... here's a few pictures of what i make...

slings_021600_x_451.jpg

slings_013600_x_451.jpg

slings_010600_x_451.jpg

slings_007600_x_451.jpg

slings_014600_x_451.jpg

Those are freakin cool man, ever do any in Koa? :)

Les - Thank you!

No. I've never done a paddle, or anything else, in Koa. Its gorgeous wood, but never worked with it.

What other woods are comparable in weight, flexibility, "carve-ability", etc?

Back