Production knife watch 2010

STR

What are you guys excited about for the coming year?

I've seen several new models from Cold Steel so far that I feel are worth trying. Their new two hand machetes and a couple swords coming out kind of excite me as well as the Triad lock they are moving into many folders now. I guess that Triad lock will be moved to the Voyager and Gunsite folders among others here for 2010.

The Manix II with Carpenter steel is another one I find worthy of a look see. I've been toying with the idea of utilizing some of the powder metal steel from Carpenter myself. Their stainless D2 sounded promising. I hear they have a pretty good 440C powder steel too. Some of the new 'slipits' from Spyderco look promising if you like slippies. What else?

STR

The production folder coming this year that I am the most excited about is the Benchmade 755 MPR. It is a small framelock based off of Shane Sibert's Mini Pocket Rocket folder, and from what I can see of the pics and from what Shane has told me, the production version is really faithful to the custom. Plus, it uses M390 as the blade steel, which is something that I've been wanting to try. Supposedly it performs like 20C-V.

BM755.1.jpg

I to can't wait to try a Benchmade 15020. It really looks like a nice piece of steel and D2.

The Bradley Kimura 2, a balisong.Microtechs Halo 5,an out the front auto.Benchmades replacement for the model 42 balisong,they havent announced it yet but theres no way their not going to replace the 42 with something.Any quality out the front auto or balisong.

Benchmade 755 MPR without a doubt in my opinion , the best production knife I have had the pleasure of handling. Shane did his homework on this one , and BM nailed it.

The had some great stuff at the BM booth @ Shot. But the MPR was the bomb. A small folder that didn't feel like a small folder. A great choice for those of us stuck with carrying a small blade due to stupid laws.

Other great knives for 2010 , were some CRKT offerings , the McGinnis collabs , and the Onion CRKT Ripple , that was smooth as silk !

Oh just checked out the CRKT ripple and it looks sweet as well. I think this is going to be the year of the production knife.

I agree , this year , the knife of the year honor at Blade will be a tuff one.

The CRKT Ripple with a street of around $75 is a sweet folder , and very smooth , with IKBS too !

I'm not much into production knives but I have to say that the McGinnis collabs are really nice. Action is smooth as silk and overall the knife is made very well. Can't go wrong for the money.

Neat stuff! I'm interested in that new BenchMade frame lock too now!

I agree with you John T. The laws cause me to change the knife I carry when I travel to one I would not mind losing if the unforeseen were to take place in a traffic stop.

Keep em comin' guys! 2thumbs

STR

Back in the day I was a big fan of CRKT. I bought and sold dozens upon dozens of the "Stiff K.I.S.S.", "K.I.S.S.", and a few others of thier first line of knives to fellow soldiers who were looking for simple low cost knives. As CRKT progressed I updated the models I carried and became a big advocate of the company. In the past couple of years I've kind of gotten away from them due to the fact that I just didn't care for the newer designs. Many of the designs in the past couple of years looked really nice, but felt extremely akward when held due to what I felt were poor designs.

I've been looking over the new line-up of CRKT and I'm pretty impressed. I have yet to hold any of these designs, but most appear to be extremely well designed pieces. I look forward to seeing them when they hit retailers. I'm particularly interested in the "Ripple", "M-4 (Bone Scaled)", and "Delegate".

Of course, I'm a huge Benchmade fan and really like thier new line-up as well. As some of you have mentioned, I too look forward to seeing more of the Model 755 "MPR" as well as Model 741 "Onslaught", Model 790 "Subrosa", and the Model 15020 "Bone Collector".

It looks like 2010 is bringing us some new solid designs from both CRKT and Benchmade. I look forward to getting my hands on them.

Got one of the Benchmade MPR's today. It is a hell of a knife for it's price point. I own one of Shane's MPR's and they are virtually identical in looks. Only difference I have noted is a different tang style and M390 Steel blade.

Great little (but stout) knife for $200 IMO. Haven't quite figured out how I am going to carry it though, clip will shred your jeans and it is a bit bulky just to ride in your pocket. Possibly a sheath would work best...

Kabar Dozier Phat Bob! Get one. Great knife! Super great actually. I liked the one I ordered from Grand Prairie knives so much I ordered a second one!

Congrats on that one Bob! If you happen to catch this post Kabar knocked one out of the park for you on that one. Made in Taiwan or not thats the best second choice for the real deal I've ever run across. Mine came ready to rock and roll and with some chunky liners and a nice lock contact, great jimping, super nice edge and smooth as silk action. I've been impressed with some of the little aluminum ones I've seen from Kabar over the years but this one is the cats meow! 2thumbs
STR

Back