Damascus Dress Folder w/ Mammoth Ivory

Dustin Turpin

I have always really just enjoyed a good looking sleek dress folder that you see makers like Stan Fujisaka, William Henry, and Kit Carson do very well. It has something I have wanted to design and build for some time.

The opportunity came for my father in-law's 65th b-day this week. I wanted to do something special for him and decided to go all out and order some really good looking materials to make this knife.

One of the mammoth ivory scales I got didn't have quite as much bark on it as I would have liked, but I still feel the knife came out pretty nice for my first attempt at a dress folder. I haven't decided yet if I will try to build some of these for Bladeshow this year, but if I do they will be on the table.

At first I was going to build this knife with a 2.5" blade, but decided I wanted to put a clip on it so I built it slightly larger with a 3" blade.

OAL: Just over 6 7/8"
Blade: 3" .135 Chad Nichols stainless damascus (Ladder.com pattern)
Bolsters: Chad Nichols mosaic damascus (Walker pattern)
Scales: Mammoth Ivory
Liners: .063 Ti
Spacer: Carbon Fiber

thanks for looking

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

That is as nice as they come. Good job. How thick are your liners

Thx guys,

I decided to use .063 thick Ti liners on this build since I made it a little larger than your standard gentleman folder which usually has around a 2.5" blade. I plan on building some smaller versions in the future to carry w/o a clip as gentleman folders should be carried so I will probably be using .50 ti on them.

At first I was going to anodize the liners to a darker color, but decided I didn't want the liners to take to much away from the scales and bolsters so I just did a very subtle light gold that pics up some of the colors in the bolsters.

thx again for the great comments

Back