Friday has always been jig day.

Fred Rowe

Friday has been jig day for as long as I can remember.

I have set aside four hours every Friday, for years, to make things I need around the homestead.

This obsession probably comes from my mother, who was fond of saying:

" Its what separates us from the apes; our ability to make things"

I finished this adjustable tool rest on Friday. It took two Fridays to complete.

It adjust horizontally and vertically.

This is my thirty-fifth year making jigs on Fridays.

Sometimes I think Mom was right, sometimes not.:D

Jigs+are+what+made+us_+002.jpg

Jigs+are+what+made+us_+001.jpg

Looks great. I would rather make my equipment than buy it. It gives a fellow a sense of pride. Although I'm guilty of spending too much time on these projects and not getting my real work done. None the less it sure is fun.

Larry

Looks great. I would rather make my equipment than buy it. It gives a fellow a sense of pride. Although I'm guilty of spending too much time on these projects and not getting my real work done. None the less it sure is fun.

Larry

Sometimes getting ready to watch the big game is more fun than actually watching the big game.:D

Fred

That's nice Fred. I used to do a bunch more woodworking but I spent way more time making jigs than actual woodworking. Now I only make a new tool or jig now and then. Can't wait to use the Bubble jig I won...been working too much with the cold weather fixing water line breaks. Keep making jigs on Fridays and don't forget to show us the good ones.

Pat

I love jigs and the idea of shop time every week for them is a good one. show more when you get a chance Fred.

That's nice Fred. I used to do a bunch more woodworking but I spent way more time making jigs than actual woodworking. Now I only make a new tool or jig now and then. Can't wait to use the Bubble jig I won...been working too much with the cold weather fixing water line breaks. Keep making jigs on Fridays and don't forget to show us the good ones.

Pat

Hi Pat, did you get all those sheaths made?

I think your right, after you make jigs and machines to fit your work for enough years you turn around and look and see you have built yourself a nice shop.
Fixing the frozen pipes is not the fun part of winter. At least not for this guy.

Let me know how the grind goes with the jig. I'd like to see what the damascus looks like.

Regards, Fred

Awesome! You should have 1820 jigs2thumbs

I think it all started with the inclined plane, humans were hooked after that.

You must have a lot of jigs made by now Fred :D
More than I can ever use, according to my better half.

It seems to be a little discussed subject, at least on the knife making forums. Seems we're trying to learn parts of trades from blacksmithing to cnc machining, two extremes that use jigs.

What's more amazing than your jig is your devotion to making them, please continue to post projects.
Thanks MBehnke

I love jigs and the idea of shop time every week for them is a good one. show more when you get a chance Fred.

I'll do that.

I think knife makers are problem solvers; that is a big part of knife makings appeal, every day is a day to learn something new and to come up with solutions.

Fred

Hey Fred,
Yes I did get most of those sheaths made for my first show. It was small and the first selling show of our Art Guild but I actually sold more than anyone else(8 knives). It has inspired me to work a little harder on my knives. I have to watch your video a few more times before I grind that nice damascus blade. Will get some pics of it.

Pat

Hey Fred,
Yes I did get most of those sheaths made for my first show. It was small and the first selling show of our Art Guild but I actually sold more than anyone else(8 knives). It has inspired me to work a little harder on my knives. I have to watch your video a few more times before I grind that nice damascus blade. Will get some pics of it.

Pat

That is great news and should inspire you. I sold zero knives at my first show and am still pleased when I sell but one.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the damascus piece takes shape.
Give me a call if I can be on any help when you get ready to use the jig.

Regards, Fred

Back