Masai Damascus Knife

Billy Helton

I finished the Masai kife I think it turned out nice. I hollowed out the handle and poured clear epoxy so you could see the handle. Thanks for all the suggestions on the damascus billet. Coments welcome Thanks

100_0388.jpg

100_0389.jpg

That is awesome. Love the damascus pattern. The idea of hollowing the handle and filling with epoxy is cool. Could even use that as a way to inlay items if one wanted to.

Charlie

I was just talking to Al May and he brought up maybe putting a scorpian or something in the epoxy that would be cool.:rolleyes:

Billy what type of epoxy did you use,I dont see any bubbles , how did you manage that. What an excellent idea. Great job , kellyw

Billy what type of epoxy did you use,I dont see any bubbles , how did you manage that. What an excellent idea. Great job , kellyw

The epoxy is called Envirotex Lite. I got it from ACE hardware. I dont know about up there in canada, There web address is www.eti-usa.com 1-707-443-9323. It is pretty easy to do.To get the bubbles out you breath on it, some how the carbon dixoide pops the bubbles. I poured about 1/32 at a time, if you puor it 1/4 thick right off the bat it is hard to get the bubbles out. If you have any more quesions let me know. Thanks kelly.

Excellent work. I especially like the damascus pattern. Since I used to live in the middle of Masailand in Tanzania I gotta ask though, what makes it Masai? Whatever you call it, it's great work.

Excellent work. I especially like the damascus pattern. Since I used to live in the middle of Masailand in Tanzania I gotta ask though, what makes it Masai? Whatever you call it, it's great work.
Well Travis I posted the billet http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=4547 and asked for a name for the pattern. It shows better on the other thread. I liked dentons name , it looks like a Masai shield thats about the only reason, I tryed to catch the best shield in the handle but it didnt work out. I can control the shields a little better ( I think) Going to make another one this week. Thanks every one for the coments and the looks.

James I have a fifty pound little giant, but al may helped me build a 30 ton press about two months ago. Sad to say but I havent even looked at my little giant since.I have so much more controll with that press. I have been experminting with patterns now. I think this ( Masai damascus might be new but who knows). You will have to come down some time. Im about a hour away from you. Here is a few pictures of them.

100_0403.jpg

I built this power hammer
100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

Last edited:
Well, since your going to be neglecting that poor sweet little Little Giant, it should be put into some loving hands that will appreciate such a sweet inocent little baby! No, I'm not from the ASLNGP, that is the Association of Sweet Little Neglected Power Hammers, but I could drop them a tip......, so to keep you out of trouble I'll run in up there and take her off your hands.....you know to do YOU a FAVOR. I know my genorosity has no bounds, I'm just a nice guy, what can I say? But seriously, thats a nice press, how many pounds does it go to? And if you want to get rid of that Little Giant, I really would come get it! Rex

Rex please dont send the ASLNGP to my house they were here once and I didnt think I would make it out alive. I have thought about letting it go but for as long as it took me to find it, as soon as you sell it I know I would regret it. The press is pusshing 25 ton. It is rated for 30 ton at 3000 psi but I feel safer only running 2200 psi. It really moves the metal. As a mater of fact I dont use all the power as it is as I try to control the drawing out of the billet to maintain the patterns.I thought about a tutitoral on the hydralic part, the press its self isnt hard. THANKS FOR THE LAUGHS:bud:

I get you. I also know quite a few Maasai that would love to get their hands on a knife made with it, though they'd have no real point of reference for understanding the quality of what they had.

Back