Grinder for a novice

DiverTexas

I'm looking to buy a grinder to begin making my own blades and would like to get some recommendations from you guys.
This is just a hobby for me, but I'd like to be able to turn out some nice knives.
I've looked at Coote, Grizzly, Bader and Radius master.
I'm not wanting to make the mistake of buying something cheap and then regretting not spending a little more to get a quality machine that will last as well as be able to accomplish what is was intended for.
If you have any thoughts on what might be the appropriate machine as well as which accessories I should consider, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Russell

If you are going to spend that kind of money (for a dader or the Radius master0 you could get a KMG or build the NWG. The KMG and NWG give alot of options and a ton of different tool arms and attachments. I am going to build the NWG (no weld grinder) with the plans I bought from usaknifemaker.com (Tracy, aka Bossdog). I have a coote and it is a good machine but is very limited on confugurations.

If you built the NWG and then bought a variable speed motor and controler from Beaumont metal works you would spend the same amount that you would on the Bader and if the pricing was right the Radius master.

Please take a look in the KNIFE MAKER SHOP TALK forum and look at what people have done and are doing for grinders. Contact Tracy Mickley at usaknifemaker.com and talk with him about the NWG here is a link to watch a video clip for it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j9nkzbAsms"]YouTube- No Weld Grinder Knife Grinder Walk Through Plans Built Tool[/ame]

Hope this helps and call a knife maker near you ask them what they use. PM some of the knifemakers here and ask them. Most if not all will be willing to talk with you. Hope this helps,

James

Russell
I am also a hobby knifemaker,and I own the KMG from Beaumont Metal Works.
It a good machine. Ive owned cootes,burrkings and this by far my favorite.
Many accessories.
I own the basic 10" grinder with the small wheel attachment,and can preforn every task needed to complete a project.
Check them out! Beaumontmeatalworks
Dan

I would have to second the recommendation for the KMG if you have the money to spend. I just got started and dropped the cash for the !0" KMG with all of the bells and whistles as well. A less expensive route would be the NWG. The NWG may not be a KMG, but everyone that uses them brag that they work just as well.

KMG is the Rolls Royce of grinders IMHO. Many attachments, easy to keep up, Built like a Tank and you can put almost any motor replacement on it you want to. From DC to AC, 110 or 220 there are no limits with this grinder. There are others out there almost as good but none can really compare to the KMG.
Rusty

My KMG is fantastic. I don't regret buying it.

However.... I would highly recommend going with the NWG as your first one. I still use mine everytime I am in the shop and it sits right beside my KMG. It has been a great investment and was a good choice for me as a beginner knife maker. I puchased the kit from Tracey and bought the flat platen as well.

With the motor that I got off eBay, I have a solid setup that performs as well today as the day I bought it.

If money is not an object and you are 100% certain that this is your new hobby for a long time to come, go with the KMG.

If you want to test the waters and save some cash but still have a grinder of decent quality, I would recommend the NWG.

Johnny

My first grinder was (is) the three-speed KMG.

Then I bought the variable speed KMG.

Than I bought the 9" disc variable speed KMG.

Your call.

:)

BC

I was in your shoes in April 2009 trying to decide what grinder to get.

I started with a 10" KMG also. Waited an extra 4 or 5 months after I had the money to get the Coote to go Variable speed KMG. I'm VERY glad I went this route. You will be amazed at how much you use the slow speeds ! If you want Variable you can save ALOT of money by putting together your own VSR set-up over going with the one Rob offers

I have added the small wheel attachment on the cheap. Bolted it to the other side of the contact wheel tool arm and got a 3/4" poly wheel. This set-up is a PITA but I have recently discovered I could C-clamp my work rest in the vertical position to the top of the small wheel attachment and at least have a 90 degree rest to profile off of. It's MUCH better to use this way than totally freehand. Don't wanna waste money on a MAPP arm because I'm definatly seeing a Beaumont Horizontal in my future but my bargain basement set-up works pretty darn good even though you can only utilize the very edge of the belt.

Ordered a 2" and 3" contact wheels and ceramic glass for my flat platen today :) All of the Upgraded stuff I'm talking about was paid for with proceeds from knife sales by the way.

Having some kind of small wheel attachment will save you untold hours spent with small sanding drums and hand work !!! You can accomplish this with the Coote but not the Grizzly so keep this in mind while making your decision.

I felt the same way as you. Didn't wanna spent the money twice by getting an "ENTRY" level machine.

With the KMG / NWG you can keep upgrading till you've got the Cadillac of grinders. If you go the NWG route then all the upgrades will also work on a future KMG if you wanted to go that route.

OH, almost forgot to mention that if you go 3-Phase 220v to get variable speed it's cheap and easy to have a variable speed disc grinder as a bonus of going with a little more expensive and versatile set-up from the begining. Eventually once I get a horizontal It'll be VSR also.

IMHO these are some of the reasons to start with the best equipment you can afford even if you have to save a bit longer like I did. I feel I've saved alot of $ and given myself the best chance for success in my knifemaking by spending a little more up front.

This is my take on the age old "Which grinder should I get" question.

-Josh

I would say a KMG or build your own NWG. tracy's plans are easy to follow.here is mine

g1_003600_x_451.jpg

I welded mine.

I've got a variable speed Bader with 10" wheel, flat platen, and small wheel arms and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Buy the best you can afford when you start and you'll never regret it. Even if you decide that knife making is not for you in the future, you can sell a good grinder for almost what you paid for it.

Carey

I would say a KMG or build your own NWG. tracy's plans are easy to follow.here is mine

g1_003600_x_451.jpg

I welded mine.

Looks great Jeff.
How do you like the work rest being non adjustable? Yours is a cleaner look then the original design on these but not sure about the fixed position.
I may copy that if you dont mind but will probably try to make mine adjustable.
Again....great looking build.

I second the idea of buying the best you can afford and not wasting money on a lesser machine.

I just started making knives in March 2009 and I made the mistake of buying a 1x42. I made exactly 1 knife with it. It is now used for handle work only.

It was so frustrating using an inferior grinder I almost gave up. I decided after much research on the forums to get a Variable Speed KMG and I could not be more pleased with it.

If you can't spring for the KMG the NWG is a very good option. I was going to build one, but I'm lazy and I had more money than time.

What ever you decide, good luck with the knife making. You have found one of the greatest group of people I have ever run into!

Grinders-Variable Speed-grit

What ever you get, make sure it is variable speed. The speed is very important to grit size.

I love files, Use the belts only for tuning.

Jim

Bill, you had to work real hard at difficult jobs with a huge amount of responsibility for many years. I don't think you are spoiled. You are rewarding yourself. I tip my hat to you.

Back to the grinder. I put together a Coote's 2 wheel grinder with 3 speed pully system and 1 horse motor. It does ok and was all I could afford at the time. I am in the process of gathering the parts to put a NWG together. It may take a while though.

Put together the NWG if at all possible. Hope this helps.

Russel my friend Dennis Paish in Calgary Alberta has a friend that is building grinders That will be exactly what your looking for . The price will be way lower than most and this guy makes top knotch stuff from what dennis told me . Get a hold of dennis and find out more, I have a kmg clone and its perfect all I need is a variable speed vfd and motor and ill be set. I think I have almost one of the best ive seen other than JT s grinder from heaven.

here is mine. I paid 1400 shipped with a 10 inch contact a 1,2,3 inch small wheels and a flat platten and steady rest.
HPIM0784.jpg

Back