Storm Surge!

Dacks

Just returned from a short photo shoot. We have just endured a rather fine storm that battered the Atlantic coast with 60-100 mph winds, heavy snow and rain, and VERY high tides.

Thought I'd share what I saw. I think to really appreciate how high these tides have been would require living here, but suffice to saw they have been the two highest tides in more than 20 years according to many of the long-time residents here.

I live in a small fishing (lobster, crab and ground fish) town right on the Atlantic coast.

This was taken at the Louisbourg Lighthouse just 500 ft down the road from me. These swells are about 20-22 ft high. I'm taking this shot from about 60 ft above the water.
christmas2009032.jpg

This wharf is just to the side of my house and the two buildings are usually about 3 feet above the high water line. I took this shot about one hour after high tide. One hour earlier they were both flooded by about 1 foot of water.
christmas2009036.jpg

christmas2009035.jpg

Large sections of both of these wharves had been torn off last night. The closest one had a "T" on the end and the other had a second row of stacked traps on a now non-existent extension off the near side.
christmas2009034.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some waves! Years back I worked for Audubon up in Maine. There was a hurricane (Hugo?) that hit the Carolina's. I was living on a small island off of Prout's Neck, and we had 10-15 foot swells from the hurricane, even though it wasn't close.

The pics in your post remind me of Vinalhaven, on the Maine coast.

Back