Its kinda' breezy up here

Dacks

Warnings

Sydney Metro and Cape Breton County
10:19 AM AST Saturday 02 January 2010
High wind warning
Storm surge warning for
Sydney Metro and Cape Breton County

This is a warning that high winds and elevated coastal water levels are expected in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

A rapidly deepening low pressure system currently well south of Nova Scotia will track to lie just south of Halifax tonight then drift westward and weaken on Sunday. Snow from this system has already begun over Southwestern Nova Scotia and it will spread across the rest of the province this afternoon. Over eastern regions a mix of snow and rain is expected. Tonight the precipitation is forecast to change over to rain over all areas as warm Atlantic air invades the province. However between 15 and 30 centimetres can be expected before the changeover. Meanwhile over eastern regions 15 to 25 millimetres of rain can be expected.

Very strong easterly winds are expected to develop this evening...Particularly over eastern regions where gusts of 100 kilometres are likely. This will cause reduced visibilities in blowing snow starting this afternoon before temperatures climb above the freezing mark.

Les Suetes winds gusting to 160 km/h (160 km/h = 99.4193908 mph) are expected to develop tonight on the west side of the Cape Breton Highlands.

The combination of a run of high astronomical tides, storm surge and large pounding waves will lead to coastal flooding and could damage infrastructure along the Atlantic shoreline and Northumberland strait tonight near the high tide. Infrastructure which has an exposure to the east and northeast will be the most at risk.

Are you located right on the coast???? We were getting gust up to 60 mph the other day and I am on the coast.:eek:

Indian George - I can spit into the Atlantic from my house! I live on the very tip of a thin peninsula that separates the Atlantic and Louisbourg harbor. This peninsula is actually the farthest east point of land on the continent with the exception of eastern Newfoundland. Our weather here in town is largely dictated by our proximity to the warm, moist ocean air which means we often get rain while 20 minutes inland it changes to snow. This is actually fairly typical of the weather here in the Land of Perpetual Precipitation.

My wife feels we're getting cheated this time though. While we can expect only heavy wind and rain here, the rest of the province will get up to 40cm (40 centimeters=15.7480315 inches) of snow. She likes the snow!

Here's the satellite image:
http://text.www.meteo.gc.ca/satelli...1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

Last edited:
That just missed us. I live a mile away from the river that dumps out into Buzzards Bay/ Atlantic Ocean. We were one of the biggest whaling ports on the east coast and still have to largest fishing port.:D

Back