Cryogenic treatment questions

DLBrothers

I have found a source for liq N, now I need a dewar. What sizes should I be looking for? How much is enough capacity (Liters) is needed to do the job?

Then, once I get one, what is the procedure- do I tie some SS wire to the knife blade and lower it into the liq N, or suspend above it or is there some other way?

Thanks gentlemen-

Usually these come in liters. I have a 30 liter and it's 10 liters too big so I just get 15 or 20 liters at a time.
Any old wire is fine to attach the knife. Careful when you drop it in so don't snap off the tip. Basically you just drop it in and it rests on the bottom of the dewar until it's done.

Check Evil Bay for Dewars.
They're used alot for Artificial Insemenation with cattle.

Some people have gotten some really good buys.

nother question - what size neck opening do you fellas have on your dewars? is a 2" opening OK? or should I get the 5"? I am told that the 5" won't hold the liquid as long.

Most of the semen containers have a 2 inch opening and then have 6 hangers for the semen straws to be kept in. The stopper is segmented to separate the holders. These hang down inside and for small knives and folder parts can be used to submerge the parts in the liquid nitrogen. I use 1/16 inch stainless welding wire and stick it through a thong hold or pin hole in the handle and twist it together to keep it safe. Slowly lower the blades into the nitrogen and then bend the wire over the lip to hang it in suspension. Be careful on dropping them into the dewar if it is one of the older ones as they have a glass interior. Most newer ones have stainless steel inner shells.

Back