Progressive ginding for the perfect flat grind.

Fred Rowe

Progressive grinding for the perfect flat grind.

Grinding the bevels on a blade, while changing the angles of approach or Progressive grinding. There are several benefits to this method.

I used a 4 inch by 2 1/4inch by 5/16 inch section of planer blade for this demonstration.
The first picture shows the blade section, end on, before it was ground.

seconds.jpg

The second and third pics show a 10 degree grind on the left side of the blade.
seconds_jpg1.jpg

seconds_jpg2.jpg

The forth picture shows the results of switching to a 5 degree angle of approach. The grind moves up the blade and moves to intersect the edge that was ground at ten degrees.
seconds_jpg3.jpg

This next picture shows the grind at 4 degrees angle of approach, the grind moves up the blade and moves to intersect the edge.

seconds_jpg4.jpg

I jumped from a 4 degree angle to an angle of 2 1/2 degrees to show the amount of grind line change caused by changing the angle of approach by 1 1/2 degrees.

The last picture shows the grind at the 21/2 degree grinding angle.
As you can see the grind has gone completely across the 21/4 inch blade section.

seconds_jpg5.jpg

seconds_jpg6.jpg
The straight edge shows the ground side to be perfectly flat across the flat.

When you grind blades by degrees, two things will happen, one is the grind goes faster because you are grinding across the high points left by the previous angle of approach. The second is you will end up with a perfectly flat bevel.

Happy grinding, Fred

Last edited:
I assume you are using some kind of jig to maintain those known exact angles?

Your assumption is correct. http://www.bubblejig.com

I am a math nut and in the beginning I just wanted to understand what angles of approach gave what results, when grinding a blade.
After I figured out what the angles were, that I was dealing with, my interest moved to, how to consistently produce those desired angles of approach, allowing me to grind blades of equal dimension. The Bubble Jig came as a result of this study.

Regards, Fred

Fred, that's a really good way to demonstrate it.

Would the bubble jig work for my horizontal linisher or is it only suitable for vertical grinders?

Fred, that's a really good way to demonstrate it.

Would the bubble jig work for my horizontal linisher or is it only suitable for vertical grinders?

Evening Stew,

The bubble in the jig rotates a full 180 degrees and can be set and locked down at any angle needed. It will work on machines that are horizontal, vertical or anywhere in between. It can also be used with a disc grinder set up, to great advantage.

Regards, Fred

Here is a link with video and some other information about the jig.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681265

Back