My gorgeous new Dozier Bushcrafter is... CTS-XHP what's that???

hooked1

Just discovered my new Dozier K36 Bushcrafter isn't D2, it's CTS-XHP. Never heard of that. The foundry, Carpenter, says is it's sort of like a more corrosion resistant D2, possibly harder. Anyway, it's a freakin' beautiful knife but I was hoping to get some more useful info about the steel.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Noah

Mike,

THanks for the link to Les' CTS pass around knife. Looks like the CTS is a nice cutting steel and sharpens easily. I'd like to see some chopping performance. Les might have to pass it around again to get a decent amount of feedback. Anyway, it would be nice to know if the edge rolls of chips at the limit.

I spoke to Dan at Dozier and he said they are treating it to Rc60 and they really like it too - guess that's obvious or they wouldn't be using it. Another thing I noticed is that the finish is a lot smoother than other Dozier D2 models, however, I didn't ask if they have changed their finishing regemin. He did say that the CTS is a finer grain than the D2 and should roll with less chipping. About the corrosion resistance, I do a lot of saltwater fishing and ask if they thought the CTS could hold up but Dan said he wasn't sure. Guess thats a question for Carpenter.

BladeSelectaloy.gif

THanks Les. I was pretty damn excited when I saw that chart on the website. Like I said earlier, I had no idea when I originally bought the knife that it was actually made of this XHP stuff - very cool! I'll have to get a picture up tonight.

So I guess corrosion resistence is similar to 440c? Do you think XHP is something that will stand up to a day of salt water fishing if lathered up with lube before and afterwards?

Back