Seeking YOUR opinion

Josh Dabney

I want to make a public appology to Mark for taking sooo long to actually finish my knife using the California Buckeye "TEST" Burl :eek: .

I did keep in touch with Mark an assure him that I would finish and post my knife eventually, and too his credit he was very understanding and just said "no problem, take your time"

Well months later here it is. I tried my best to do this fine piece of burl justice.

-8" Chef
-1080 carbon steel, stock removed, and edge quenched
-Full flat ground to a .020 edge then convex ground from 1/2" up from the edge to .005
-Distal taper (Should have used thinner stock or more taper)
-Etched in ferric and polished with chrome polish.
-Hybrid polish above quench line with 0000 steel wool and Balistol.
-416 guard and black fiber spacer
-Flower carved stabilized Buckeye Burl finished with 5 coats of Tru-Oil and hand buffed with felt.
-2 coats of Tru-Oil on the inside parts of the carving left un-buffed for a matte finish. I was shooting for some contrast between the highly polished handle and the detail of the carving

CarvedBurlchef003.jpg

CarvedBurlchef004.jpg

CarvedBurlchef005.jpg

CarvedBurlchef006.jpg

CarvedBurlchef007.jpg

CarvedBurlchef010.jpg

CarvedBurlchef015.jpg

CarvedBurlchef019.jpg

Sorry again for taking so long ! I hope it was worth the wait !

Please let me know what you guys think ! -Josh

Just thought I'd add that this is my 10th completed knife and is 100% Sole Authorship

This knife is a Christmas gift for my Brother-In-Law who should be here any second, LOL. I finished it and wrapped it up with less than 2 hours too spare :)

More photos can bee seen here-

http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/ss147/joshdabney/

Feel free to browse through my Photobucket album-

Thanks again for comments, critiques, and opinions folks. I consider input from my peers to be the most valuble asset to imrovong my skills so please let me know what you think. Good, Bad, or Ugly !

-Josh

nice job. That carving is hard to make look good and you did.
he'll like that one.
t

The work you can do with 10 knives under your belt is incredible. I hope I can get to that level after I've made 100.

Very well done, and cool leather work on The Big Lebowski piece :D

Fletch,

I only got pics of that one in the un-stained state. I was finishing it up the day I was heading up north for Christmas and forgot to get completed pics. It looked much better once the finish was done. It got an antique finish so all the details were hi-lighted and it looked much better.

I sure appreciate the compliment, Josh

I got to see this one in person, like the rest and he did a very good job.It's a very nice knife.Dave2thumbs

Dad blame it Josh, is there any darn thing that you can't do and do well!!All kidding aside, this one is fantastic, as is most anything you try your hand at. Great job!!

It's a great piece of work with the "rose" on the end and all !!! Lovely looking work through out !!! Great stuff Josh, and who said there wasn't some that weren't born knife makers. Frank

No apology necessary. You made an awesome knife. Definitely something to be proud of. I agree with the comment that you are a natural. Keep up the good work and post some pictures of your next knife.

Great looking knife there Josh. Great work on the handle!! quench line looks really good. Brother in law is gonna love it.
If he does'nt I give you my address :D .

Thanks for all the comments fellas !

Feedback is always appreciated.

The knife was very well recieved and more importantly. . . I got a USAknifemakers gift certificate in return ! :)

Another great looking knife Josh 2thumbs

The knife was very well received and more importantly. . . I got a USAknifemakers gift certificate in return ! :)

Sounds like somebody's giving you a hint of what they would like for Birthdays and Christmases yet to come :D

Last edited:
Back