How to make a good custom knife image and forum post

Buddy Thomason

I was recently asked to explain how I approach making, then posting a successful custom knife photograph. Here's part of my reply. Keep in mind there are lots of ways to skin a cat and this is simply my way:

My strategy is information, information, information (like in real estate; location, location, location). It starts with the actual image into which I pack as much visual info as possible, arranged in a pleasing way that's not haphazard or 'too busy' and gives the viewer's eyes a natural path through the image.

People's eyes will first land on the point of greatest contrast between light and dark next to each other and then move, like following a road or path, through the rest of the image. You'll see some images that aren't made that way and the viewer's eyes get blocked. Then their done with the image and quickly move on. I like to try to avoid 'roadblocks' to the viewer's traveling eyes. This translates into longer look-time, which is good.

Then I try to do the same with the descriptive text – more good information and in a writing style that flows and is easy (even fun) to read. Then come the various viewer comments/replies and after a few of those I try to come back with more of the same in hopes of getting folks back to the thread 'to see what's new.' Almost all of what I described about the viewer happens unconsciously and if I've done it right their comments will confirm it.

You'll see that all the decent photographers get positive comments because custom knife photos are like eye-candy to custom knife lovers. But 'candy' has no lasting impact. What I look for are replies that go beyond 'great pic' and say something like 'great thread.' Bingo, got that one right.

The eye-candy effect is not bad per se but I believe there's more to it. So, to differentiate myself, I developed a style that some might call 'photo realism.' One maker said about the image I made of his knife, "Yup, that's the knife I made!" which he said was high praise. Another famous maker said to me a while back "You're the best because you actually turn the knife over and look at the other side." Hey, I'm not the best – his comment simply confirmed that there must be some truth to my theory about how to make a successful image. Another very popular maker told me "I want you to shoot this knife because I need to sell it." That is some super direct confirmation right there.

I may be a knife photographer but the truth is I'm helping folks sell knives. So, the question for me is always: "How will my image and forum post promote the maker and help sell this knife?" It doesn't matter if the knife is actually for sale or not. It's about setting the bar high and not settling for anything that is just average.

Here is a simple basic example below. Note your eye is drawn to the blade toward the tip and from there it's a very easy trip for the eyes to move toward the nice softly lit handle. So lots of folks would find there eyes sweeping back and forth from the bright area of the tip set against a dark background and then up the knife to the carved ricasso and then to investigate the soft lit handle up to its tip and back again in easy fashion. I hope I'm explaining and illustrating in a way that's makes sense.

orig.jpg

Now here's an old photo of mine that I need to re-do (my knife in this case) because there's no visual flow and as I look it feels like a lot of work to visually move around the image without a lot of herky-jerky stop 'n go. It's not an image that people would think is bad, but it's not the kind of image that is easy to look at. There's no high-contrast place to start and you have to jump from one view of the knife to the other. My choice of background didn't help any. People would probably say "nice photo" but they wouldn't linger to soak up more of the information that's there. For some this stuff is just too esoteric. But in my view it's the kind of thing that can separate good from great.

orig.jpg

Great post, and a useful summary tutorial. I appreciate that you provided examples, too.

In the second photo, the knife is beautifully lit. But as you said, there isn't much contrast and all of that gorgeous lighting leaves the image a little flat (even though it's a 9 on a ten point scale!)

The first photo has a lovely gradiation from light to shadow and is just an invitation to look more deeply at the knife . There are no distractions to the flow. Compare that to the second photo which can be overwhelming.

The second photo tries to balance on a fine edge (ha!) where the viewer's eye sometimes gets drawn away from the knife and onto the background. It's a very interesting photo, but one that competes with itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been struggling to photograph my knives. Lately I've been using a two light setup. The main shoots through a scrim and the second light is set to 1/3 ratio for fill.

What I have trouble with is getting the main light soft enough that it doesn't blow out the blade, but getting enough light into the handle to show the detail in the wood.

Would you mind giving me some suggestions / critique on how to improve these shots? Be brutal! I need help and I've got thick skin.

9de7be96dc4e039c7231888ff1b03444.jpg

03ad2d69e299e5933833d27b24ed0735.jpg

5f3dacd60a170c44c511adf9ea16c69b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back