Auction Thread?

Curtiss Knives

KD Founding Member #1, Knifemaker
Just checking to see what people would think about having an Auction Thread. You would be able to donate your items and put them up. The proceeds would go to the forum to help with maintaining and paying for this wonderful new forum. We would put this in the classifieds area. Let me know what you think and suggestions are welcome. cool 1

Auctions can be fun, but I think you will get more action if you run it as a raffle. I think that people will be a little more willing to part with a small amount for a chance, than the total.
Run both and see which is more popular.
In any case I will participate.

Sounds good.
Are you going to charge a membership fee or is the auction supposed to take care of all forum costs? I dont know how forums work financially.

Can I run an auction on my forum for a church cause? Play ground equipment in a Jamaica ophanage.

Auctions can be fun, but I think you will get more action if you run it as a raffle. I think that people will be a little more willing to part with a small amount for a chance, than the total.
Run both and see which is more popular.
In any case I will participate.

I agree with Del on this one however we also have to remember that right now we only have a couple hundred users so the auctions might have to start kinda small.

Some of us have had great success on the JD with raising funds for different causes. I will gladly support this forum with donations.

I also agree with Les that with a smaller membership things could be a little slow. Unless we limited the spots to 10 or 20. Of course, high-end items may get a little pricey per spot.

I'm game for whatever is agreed upon. There are many ways to grease the wheels (or feed & water the dog).

BC

Sounds good.
Are you going to charge a membership fee or is the auction supposed to take care of all forum costs? I dont know how forums work financially.

Can I run an auction on my forum for a church cause? Play ground equipment in a Jamaica ophanage.

Bruce,

I've run raffles for Multiple Sclerosis research, forum members sick children, our troops and raffles just in support of the forum.

It needs to be a coordinated effort. If you get more than one raffle going at a time, it takes FOREVER for the things to end.

BC

when we hit 500 active, we'll experiment with some charity auctions and raffles. I don't think we are big enough to reach the kitchen sink yet...

Back