Keep your scraps, boys and girls.

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

This piece is made from bits and pieces from past builds. The blade is AUS6 that was very cloudy and was polished, satinned, and polished again. It always looked like I cleaned it with a pork chop. But this is about 75% mirror and is pretty clear. The scales are a dark vein of a slab of Ziricote that would normally be scrap but I bookmatched it and finished it with my own concoction of beeswax and Johnsons paste wax 50/50 heated up and buttered on then rubbed like heck til hard and shiny. The inlays are 3/8" cutoffs of mammoth bark ivory and the spacers are pieced together cutoffs of my least favorite color, I got the mosaic lanyard lug as a 1" sample at a show somewhere. The handle is actually a little lighter than the pics. I will give it to one of my huntin buddies. I'm really not this cheap, it just all came together when I was gluing some stuff up over the weekend. It was kinda fun.

Thanks for looking,
Steve
attachment.php

Last edited:
That is one good looking blade there Steve. How long did it take you to lay it all out with scraps in your head?...haha I say HELL YEAH buddy.2thumbs I will deff be saving my scraps from here on out...maybe go sweep the shop floor for once and see what I find:D

Well done man.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I keep all my cutoffs of ivory and pearl and anything exotic and in a couple drawers in a tool chest. When I need to make something that isn't a commission I just lay a blade in the with some scales and kinda see what grabs me. Usually it works out but sometimes it lays there for a while. It's tuff not to get caught up in always doing something new, especially when we see such great work on these sites. Some of these guys just blow me away, but I still like old style workhorses and drop points.
Regards,
Steve

Steve,

I dont have anything close to exotics.....but seeing what you guys do with two different types materials blows me away.

Them yellow spacers really make that handle work pop!!!

You guys keep doing what you do...and maybe one day I will have a blade photo worthy to put up:D

Keep up the good work Steve.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I keep all my cutoffs of ivory and pearl and anything exotic and in a couple drawers in a tool chest. When I need to make something that isn't a commission I just lay a blade in the with some scales and kinda see what grabs me. Usually it works out but sometimes it lays there for a while. It's tuff not to get caught up in always doing something new, especially when we see such great work on these sites. Some of these guys just blow me away, but I still like old style workhorses and drop points.
Regards,
Steve

Steve,

I dont have anything close to exotics.....but seeing what you guys do with two different types materials blows me away.

Them yellow spacers really make that handle work pop!!!

You guys keep doing what you do...and maybe one day I will have a blade photo worthy to put up:D

Keep up the good work Steve.

Chris

Chris please quit worrying about a knife being photo worthy. We all started some where. Post a pic now and in ten months go back and look at it. My first couple looked really bad. So post something.

Steve great looking combonation. Amazing what scrap will do.

I am working on it. Once I have my torch I can finally HT a few and actually finish something. I will show, be patient....lol

Chris please quit worrying about a knife being photo worthy. We all started some where. Post a pic now and in ten months go back and look at it. My first couple looked really bad. So post something.

Steve great looking combonation. Amazing what scrap will do.

:pTell him James!!2thumbs

Very nice job Steve. The bit of stag and the yellow liners give a nice touch to it!!

Last edited:
Leftovers

I wish some fridge leftovers came together so nicely. :D

I learned to keep leftovers while doing offroad fabrication those scraps always come in handy. Your example shows me that this a good habit to keep.

Real cool Steve. My buddy made a "scrap" knife a while back, forged together some damascus drops, and pieced the handle together like you did. Made a fine looking knife.

Sean

Back