Question on # knives

Billy Helton

I have made knives for four years, I was thinking about starting to number them but I couldnt tell you where on the number list that I am, so would I be better to not number them, or start with one now. Maybe some of you makers have confronted this question, and I could use your input greatly Thanks

Billy

I notice most makers do not # them. The ones that do keep a log book and can get info on any knife they made2thumbs
Me personally, The less writing on a knife the better;)

I notice most makers do not # them. The ones that do keep a log book and can get info on any knife they made2thumbs
Me personally, The less writing on a knife the better;)

That is a thought I do like making knives better than book keeping.

I shy away from doing this. My thought pattern is that if you happen to build a knife, number or date it, and then it doesn't sell right away....then its gona be tough to sell, as every day that goes by means that its an "old" knife that nobody wanted...at least in most potential customers' minds. This is especially true with higher end knives that tend to be targeted at the smaller percentage of buyers. Many times with more expensive pieces, they are waiting for that "right" person, and if dated/numbered, its just one more disadvantage to selling it.

Well I think I decided not to number my knives, thank you guys for your input I really appreciate seing both sides of it, that is what makes these forums so great. Thanks

BH

Ed,
Then the knives that I made years ago and want to keep are not worth anything??? Just kidding.

Last edited:
I number and date all the knives I make. I put the information under the left side handle scale, unless you take the knife apart, you won't know the information is there. Dan

Back