Week 7 Photo contest Post your entries here--- Cell Phone pictures

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member

Week 7 Cell Phone

Use your cell phone for your week 7 photo contest entry.
Cell phones today can take good pictures if you take some time.
You can use any post edit process/software you like but the image has to be taken on a cell phone.
There is a certain amount of trust here that no one uses hardware other than a cell phone.

Post your week 7 photo contest entries here....

Let's see what you can do. I am looking to be amazed this week...

Taken with my Galaxy s5

20150106_230847-2_zpssrxly8im.jpg

Had to borrow my wife's phone.
I have a dumb phone.
Not used to using a smart phone as a camera.
Click on photo to enlarge.
Number52-2-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play.
Here is one I snapped with my Iphone 5, in my light tent. I didn't do any post editing like I normally do. This is pretty typical of what I post on most social media sites and IG. Not as sharp as a with a camera, but it gets the point across and allows me to share my work and WIP's on a daily basis.

I take all my pics with my Samsung galaxy s5.

Ben that's a great pic.
I don't have any new knives done but here is a older picture I took.

a35de5c16b0b4216dbdd050eb1326caf.jpg

Last edited:
my knife.jpgNo touch up, just off the celly. I didnt make the blade, but made handle on it. This is from before I started grinding my own blades.
Steve

New to the forum...This peaked my interest so I thought I'd try to play. If I'm not supposed to post here then I'm sorry.

I don't actually own a camera all my photos are on my HTC one M8. Mainly just post my pics on social media. Phone works well for me. Makes it quick and easy to update my page.

64804a6909931ab4450f218e48f4f462.jpg

In the spirit of iPhontography I didn't use the hot lights and white tent.
Set this up on my work bench by a south facing window.
The low sun was blasting in the window to the left of the frame.
I toned it down with a tracing paper diffuser and used a large white board to bounce light in from the right.
A good deal of direct sunlight was hitting that board.
Held the phone with my fingers under it and tripped the shutter with my thumb. The only way I could keep it steady.
A little LR for cropping, color balance and a bit of a sharpen in PS and Bubba's your cuzzin :D

Shot with my iPhone 5 - lighting and editing per my usual workflow. The digital file produced by the i5 camera has some serious limitations including loss of detail in both the brightest and darkest areas. Still, IMHO it's a minor miracle that a phone camera can produce an image this good. The 'survival' blade is part of nice package designed by photographer and fellow knife-nut Terrill Hoffman. Includes carry sheath, field sharpener and flint rod.

orig.jpg

lol, All I have is a cell phone. Motorola Milestone X (same as droid x), 8mp camera, photoshop cleanup. I broke out the light tent this week to play with some new ideas and backgrounds. Pictured here is the infamous Dog Bite 1. I like this knife so much I just can't bring myself to sell it. Some of you might remember this was anodized purple at one time. I removed the purple and did an orange peel finish with a scotch brite belt and man it looks much better now.

I do have a question though. I'm loosing a lot of resolution...sharpness something in between here and my computer. I know that in interwebs dumbs it down some just because it's the nature of the beast, but is there anything else you can do to keep that from happening as much. My final specs are the required 1000px and 96 resolution.

Keep this one:
10682366_753506211399851_8257363643721368654_o.jpg

Attachments

• cell phone2 copy.jpg
    cell phone2 copy.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 66
N.N I know what you mean not sure if it's since we load them from our cell phones or what but I feel I lose alot or resolution too.

N.N I know what you mean not sure if it's since we load them from our cell phones or what but I feel I lose alot or resolution too.

It's not as bad after Bossdog expanded the picture, but the one on my desktop, the exact same pic, you can see a lot of the texture of the background and the orange peel of the knife. Here it gets fuzzier.

I had similar results when uploading to the forum software.
That's one of the reasons I use photobucket.
You can open a free account and host your images there and post them here.
There is also a free app for phones.
Added benefit is the (admittedly minimal) adjustments you can make.
Photoshop also has a free app for your phone as well.

there, I think that's better. Can I get those switched Boss?

Thanks Ebbtide, I think that was the problem. I'd noticed it before but thought I was crazy or something.

there, I think that's better. Can I get those switched Boss?

Thanks Ebbtide, I think that was the problem. I'd noticed it before but thought I was crazy or something.

Make a new post wi the link and I will kill the old one. I can't switch it.

Wanted to do a pic with the delta combat knife and a gun so did this with the galaxy s3 and a blue filter on the LED bulb. Took a lot a blurry ones before getting this but finally got a decent one.

Back