Need ideas for a tatical photo

Self Made Knives

I know it's not in the spirit of the current photo contests, but I like photos of knives with firearms as props or backgrounds. I'm trying to find a pleasing way to photo a tactical knife with an AR15. I tried today and can't seem to get a good composition. Scoured google images with no real luck.

Does anybody have a good pic of a tactical blade/AR15 combo that they wouldn't mind me taking inspiration from? I'm struggling with this one.

Don't have any reference for you, or an AR for that matter…
But!
Some suggestions.
First pick out the part of the AR that says AR to you. If you try to show the whole AR, the knife could start looking small. So crop in on the AR so the knife fills the frame and is the star.
I'm thinking the trigger group to the mag well and up to the charging handle… maybe the sight/carry handle… what ever you think it should be.
Frame that in the camera lens.
Then determine where the knife will fit in.
You can use balls of tape, kneaded erasers, play-doh, or bits of foam rubber to get the knife up off of the rifle (note: I didn't say gun ;) ).
This way it will sit nicely in regards to the light and cast some shadow on the rifle.

OR…
Maybe just use a couple AR magazines and a bullet or two to stack the knife on.

my opinion (only)... I think a tactical knife pictured with a tactical gun -- like an AR (or combat pistol -- what ever that is) works just fine and is in theme.
I think a hunting knife could just as well be taken with a rifle or shotgun and be just as appropriate.

Well, I tried again today, and I think the size of a rifle is just so out of scale with a knife, there's just not an easy way, at least for me. Like Ebb says, pick one part of it, so I did. I think I'll post the result in the week 6 photo contest.

Self try looking at the mag well with a mag in it, as the direction to photo the knife propped up against the mag/magwell. Try getting the knife to dominate the frame and the selector switch and trigger angled twards the rear sight as the background. That would hot the tactical weapon aspect. Just my .02. Or find some one with the lil mp5 looking .22 smaller tactical weapon scale.

Back