Two For A Soldier's Sons

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
A couple of months ago I pulled out an old blade that has been laying around unfinished since some time in 2010 and finished it up. When I took it to the office, my boss asked me to make a couple of blades for his sons for Christmas. I agreed, if he would help so that he could tell his sons he made them for them. Over the next several weeks, we would work a few hours a night one or two nights a week. We had the blades all ready for handles when I decided on Last Sunday that I wasn't all that happy with their HT. So.........

I cut out, profiled, ground, HTd, and finish ground two new blades. On Monday evening I had to do a little more grinding on one blade while my boss begun hand sanding on the other (having a shop hand to do the hand sanding for you is AWESOME!). On Tuesday we got them glued up and Wednesday we began to grind handles. There was a little "hiccup", so we only finished one. I finished the other Thursday night along with the making the Kydex sheaths.

Blades: Full flat ground, differentially HT'd W2 w/convex edge and tapered tangs
Handles: Black canvas Micarta w/ss corbies.
Sheaths: 0.08 Kydex (I was out of 0.06) w/LRG TekLoks.

Their dad couldn't wait til Christmas to give the knives to the boys. I think he may have been more excited for them to open their presents than the boys were to receive them. I pray they get many years of hard use from these knives.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Really like the looks of those "Babies". Do you mind sharing your differential HT method. Did you use clay or did you only partially quench the blade? Thanks,

Wallace

Wallace,

I used a thin coat of Satanite mixed with Rutlands furnace cement. The blades are ground from 5/32" stock and the blades are distally tapered.

I layed out the clay about 1/16" thick and allowed to dry.
I allowed my forge to come up to temp and then heated the tangs first.
Next, I turned the blades around and began heating the "blade".
As the blades were heating, I would only allow them to sit in the forge for about 30 seconds at a time before pulling out for about 2-3 seconds (I didn't want to heat the blades too quickly).
Once the blades were up to temp, I would pull them out for a 2-3 seconds about every 30 seconds or so to allow for a "soak time". I continued this for approximately eight minutes once the blades were up to temp.
I then went straight from the forge to my quench tank (which sits approximately two feet from my forge)
i quenched the blades tip down in Parks 50 and then agitated the blade (moving at a moderate pace in a slicing motion).
I then suspended the blades in my quench tank and allowed to cool to the touch.

Once cooled enough, I removed the blades and scraped the clay away with a piece of Micarta and test the edge with a new file. If the files skates across the edge, I then grind the blade clean before tempering.

Great, the happiness which we feel after giving happiness to others is something which we can only feel from inside.

Back