micarta question..

Jim Coffee

i have a question about micarta. what is the differance between g-9 g-10 and g-11 and what does the g and the number stand for. thanks for any help on this subject

G-9: is a laminate sheet comprised of flame retardant melamine resin and woven fiberglass glass substrate. G9 is compliant with MIL I 24768/1, Type GME.

G10: An extremely durable makeup of layers of fiberglass soaked in resin, then highly compressed and baked. Impervious to moisture or liquid and physically stable under climate change. Most commonly black, but is available in various colors, too.

Grade G-11 is constructed from a continuous filament woven glass fabric with an epoxy resin binder. The resin system is not flame retardant, but has greater temperature resistance than Grade G-10. Exhibits extremely high mechanical strengths at room temperature, and maintains a minimum of 30.0 ksi flexural strength at 150 degrees C. Good dielectric loss and electric strength properties under both dry and humid conditions.

MICARTA: Layers of linen cloths soaked in resin and pressured together. Most commonly used on more stylish knives due to its rich color finish qualities.

thanks semper708. i have used g-10 before but never really knew what it and the others were made of and what the differances were

Back