Week 4 Photo Contest - Insets theme - CLOSED for entries here...read the first post!

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Week 4 photo contest is about insets.
CLOSED.... -

This means multiple photo's of the same knife layered into one image.

Your week 4 photo entry should be an inset. We will (attempt) to be judging on insets and how you use them.

GIMP software is free and will do an excellent job of creating a composite image so cost isn't a factor.
An inset photo has another little photo layered on top of a larger photo. Like Picture in a Picture on your TV.
This is an example of an inset photo. In the lower right I have a small photo inserted into the big one to show the back side of the knife had a kitchen magnet...
Insets add some additional views of a knife that would otherwise not show up in a static one view picture. On the inset image below, I added a small drop shadow around the inset photo to show it off more. When I inset the smaller photo into the larger one, the yellow backgrounds blended so well the inset was lost.

An inset is an obvious additional, smaller picture inserted into a larger one. It is a deliberate technique to communicate additional views of a knife.
They are a bit harsh visually but really communicate multiple views and information in one image. An inset works well for commercial product pictures and we use them often on the supply site. There are hundreds of ways to present an inset into an image. Round, square, vignette, blur, exploded view, etc.
An inset is not a composite. See week 5 for that.

Any photo entered into week 4 that is not an inset type photo will not be entered into the contest for the week.

Last edited:
I'll give it a go.
This is my first time trying to do an Insert, I normally just post multiple pictures.

Photographed with a Nikon D100 six megapixel camera using a single strobe reflected through a nylon screen. Hand held camera which allows me to pick the best reflections on the knife, the camera sync speed is only1/125 second but the quick flash stops any movement. The knife is photographed sitting on a translucent box which lets light underneath the knife to light the shadow side enough to keep that area from being to dark. Image processed using Photoshop 7. Background is a black and white gradient on a white, however almost any image can be set under the photo. The whole set up is pretty simple but effective, most of the photos of my work in Dave Darom's books were taken with this rig, many of which were taken on film and some using a very old Olympus 4mp camera. Fred Carter
photo-set-up.jpg

diamond-composite-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cory and Fcarter,
the images you submitted, for this contest, are considered composites and will be moved to week 5 as soon as I get a chance.
This week is for insets. See the example. Feel free to enter this week with an inset photo.
thanks
t

An oldie, pre-light tent, shot on my work bench with the two built in fluorescent tubes, a tracing paper diffuser and some white boards to fill in the shadows.

I used the inset to show the inspiration for the knife, a page from Flayderman's bowie book, instead of highlighting a feature of the knife.

The white rule (or stroke) around the box is a neat graphic device to separate the inset from the background.
The rule provides a path for the eye as well, so one isn't searching for which photo ends where.

I don't have a great shot of the set, but it was basically this

The two fluorescent tubes are at the top of the peg board. The tracing paper diffuser was in-between the lights and subject and the white reflector boards were in-between the camera and subject.

Insets aren't my favorite way of displaying knives but, like Tracy said at the top, they are fairly quick to create and convey a lot of information on one page. It's definitely good to know how to do them right.

This image is one I made just for this week's assignment using a knife by Tai Goo that I recently added to my collection. Tai is one of my favorite makers. I'm impressed by his artistry, knowledge and constantly evolving designs. This knife features a natural cork handle. OAL is 12 1/2 inches. Cork is sturdy, unique, grippy and comfortable.

Different knives require different inset treatment. Still, it's about information - maximum information. On occasion it's useful to enlarge a portion of your main full side view to make it serve the information goal but, as Coop taught me, enlarge at least 50% and not less, for your inset.

I like 2 insets to balance the image. The knife and insets are not hard to maneuver around with software. That done, the real 'trick' and key is to hold the knife in the air at the angle you think looks best and see how the insets should fit, then shoot all three like you saw them. Bang - 85% done. The rest is to the image like makeup is to someone on stage.

The little things that make a nice difference are:
- adjust for same color and tone so all three match (brightness too)
- one or two pixel stroke (outline) around each inset, any color though I like white
- apply a 'drop shadow' to each inset and tweak, subtle is my preference
- selectively desaturate any steel that is not colored or reflecting the color of whatever it's next to on the knife (yes, that's not improper unless your intent is shooting the knife to sell it)

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Folder shot in the white tent with incandescent light. Insets added with a cheap older version of Photoshop purchased on line. Want to try some ideas picked up in this contest when get time over Christmas with the new high CRI LED I bought.

I'll try, feeble, but a try. Thought I'd flip it around, use the detail shot as the main image and the overall pic as the inset.

Serial #8 inset.jpg

Fist time trying insets.
Knife details.
Jeff Haze Custom Knife.
80CRV2 Steel.
Saber Grind.
.180 thick.
3.5 inch blade length.
1.125 blade height.
7.250 overall length.
58-59 RC.
Black Acid Stonewash finish.
Hand filed jimping.
Natural canvas micarta removable handles.
Chain ring bolts.
Black kydex sheath with G Clip.
Can be worn vertical,cross draw,scout carry,inverted,left handed,right handed,or as a necker.
Tulsa,Oklahoma

Number 46-layered.jpg

OK, Week 4 is OPEN for new entries...

Last edited:
oh no... I thought we still had the rest of the week...

you can take a look anyway. I went a little overboard anyway I think. I've got another one for week five ready as well

inset (2).jpg

oh no... I thought we still had the rest of the week...

you can take a look anyway. I went a little overboard anyway I think. I've got another one for week five ready as well

Week 4 entry is still open...We are voting on week 3 this week.

Hope I'm not to late. First go at this and took the pictures and did the editing from my phone.
I will include a picture of my desperate light box set up that I threw together in 5 minutes.

a39b88d2ad66ed5ff1f394b7474b0039.jpg

578dac4f46b7f44d90b0890fac475eff.jpg

Last edited:
Back