Objective rating system for knife photographs

Buddy Thomason

What ingredients are necessary to produce a quality knife photograph? There could be many answers but using a categorical rating system will introduce objectivity into the image evaluation process. And eventually, 'what we measure improves.'

I suggest the following system (a version of which was originally introduced by Coop). It's based on 5 categories and each category is rated 1-5 where....

1 = seriously flawed
2 = one or more minor flaws
3 = no significant flaws
4 = better than average
5 = almost as good as it gets

The five categories are...

1. Composition
2. Lighting
3. Color
4. Clarity
5. Creativity

Here is a sample image to start with. Feel free to rate it using this system and briefly explain your rating in each category. There are some things about it I feel could be improved so don't worry about offending me if you don't rate it highly. The object here is to learn to rate a photograph in an objective manner.

It would be great if you would post an example too, regardless of skill, equipment or experience. Post an alternative rating system too, if you have one. Objectively judging knife photos is one of the best ways for us to improve what we do.

orig.jpg

Ok. I edited this post because I think I missed the point of the thread at first.

Buddy- allowing that I know next to nothing about photography, I'll tell you what I see in your picture.

1. Composition- 4 Really my only issue here is it seems one of the inset images may not be necessary as they both seem to show and highlight basically the same thing.
2. Lighting- 3 The dark shadows along the inset images are offsetting to my eye. I wish I could see the sides of those insets, just a little better.
3. Color- 5 Looks pretty good to me
4. Clarity-5 Crystal clear
5. Creativity- 4 I like the arrangement on the wooden dish and the props and backgrounds don't clash with the knife.

Last edited:
Ok.....I'll put one up for critique. Guys, please don't hold anything back. I have VERY thick skin and my photography is something I want to improve greatly.

I don't know what's wrong with me stepping into this with absolutely no qualifications.
I do want to learn.

1. 4 The center image seems out of scale to the other two, and the back ground is a little to busy for me.
2. 2 The dark shadow below the center image bothers me, I keep looking there.
3. 5
4. 4 See 2. above
5. 4 The high lighting of the file work.

Ok I did it. I 'll post a one of my pics.

Edited to add: You guys are fast! my critique below is for Buddy's original image.

Great idea Buddy.

JD, this system gives those of us who don't have an extensive knowledge of photography a system or frame work to work with in and it'll lead to discussion.
All should learn and benefit.

As with all creative related topics, there are not always black and white answers. Often times there are varying shades of gray due to personal taste...

I'll take the plunge and offer up my review...

1 = seriously flawed
3 = no significant flaws
4 = better than average

1. Composition
2. Lighting
3. Color
4. Clarity
5. Creativity

1. Composition
Rated 4 Better Than Average
The only thing that kept me from giving it a 5 is the large 'full' area at the bottom right and empty bright area top left...
(personal preference here, not how I would've shot it, but that doesn't make it wrong. Really a 4 3/4)

2. Lighting
I'd like to see some the sides of the knife in the insets. I understand those are there to show off the insets, but think it would give a little more context.
(again, personal preference, doesn't make it wrong. Really a 4 7/8)

3. Color
Rated 5 As Good As It Gets
The colors are muted and show of the knife well without fighting for attention

4. Clarity
Rated 5 As Good As It Gets
Buddy shoots them as sharp as they can get. Again, the subject stands out well, doesn't fight with the background and the insets not only show off the detail, but make them pop.

5. Creativity

This goes back to the full and empty areas of the frame that I mentioned before.
(I'd go with another 4 3/4 here... I personally do not like insets and find them distracting. Again personal taste.)

I'll post one of mine soon to keep the conversation going.

Last edited:
Ok.....I'll put one up for critique. Guys, please don't hold anything back. I have VERY thick skin and my photography is something I want to improve greatly.

Ok, John first of all, you are one of my favorite makers out there! And, I'm a newbie so I'm probably way out of my league even trying..... But, here's my 2 cents.

1. Composition 3 Maybe it's a little OCD or something, but I personally don't like things hanging out of frame, like the flashlight. It immediately distracts my eye to the object that's hanging out.

2. Lighting 5 Looks good to me.

3. Color 4 Looks good to me, but there a whole lot similar tones going on, maybe a little more contrast?

4. Clarity 5 Looks good to me.

5. Creativity 4 I like the added props for scale, even though some people don't. I also like seeing the sheath included, just me.

Here's one of mine that a lot of people seem to like. I prefer the outdoor shots with natural lighting and themed props. It's the newbie in me I guess. Tear me up, you can't hurt my feelings and I really want to get better. If anyone rates me higher than a 3 on any category, they're probably full of it!

I asked the other day, but still don't know how to get the pics to show up full size in the post. I'm loading directly from my computer. Bruce said he was using a hosting service, is that the only way to get them full size?

lancers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1 = seriously flawed
3 = no significant flaws
4 = better than average

1. Composition
2. Lighting
3. Color
4. Clarity
5. Creativity

Compostion.
Sadly it gets a 1. I'd give this a 5 if it were the knife alone. The props don't visually connect with the knife. If the knife were leaning on them and they were all touching... maybe. The fact that they are cropped out of the frame... this is like a period at the end of a sentence. Your eye tends to stop there and won't find it's way around the photo.

Lighting.
3 it is a little flat and could do with some more contrast. Maybe punch up the saturation a tiny bit.

Clarity
4 just fine in that regard.

Color.
4 I like the colors, they don't fight with the subject and echo the tones of the handle.

Creativity
2 Mainly for the oddly placed props. One of my mentors in the graphic arts business was fond of saying "less is more. more or less"

You said not to hold back :)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments. This is what makes us better. I agree with the comments about the props..........now that it's been pointed out. I always thought props should be neutral or abstract so as not to distract from the object. I guess I did a poor job of that here. :)

My photos are completely unaltered in any way. That's one of the things I need to learn more about. So things like brightness, sharpness, saturation....I don't really even know how to tweak those features. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

I have a really tough time with putting a knife out there by itself and almost always think that there should be some props of some sort. But that's my own preference and maybe it's handicapping me some?

Here's a question.......Should any and all props always be completely inside the frame? Or is it a case by case basis? Are there general rules for that or how does one go about determining that?

Thanks again for the pointers and critique.

Here's one of mine that a lot of people seem to like. I prefer the outdoor shots with natural lighting and themed props. It's the newbie in me I guess. Tear me up, you can't hurt my feelings and I really want to get better. If anyone rates me higher than a 3 on any category, they're probably full of it!

I asked the other day, but still don't know how to get the pics to show up full size in the post. I'm loading directly from my computer. Bruce said he was using a hosting service, is that the only way to get them full size?

View attachment 52329

1 = seriously flawed
3 = no significant flaws
4 = better than average

1. Composition
2. Lighting
3. Color
4. Clarity
5. Creativity

Composition
3-while there are no significant flaws, all the elements sort of fight for attention.
It is a great shot for that group of elements... like if the subject was "pocket dump" or "EDC". Also words tend to catch and hold the eye.

Lighting
4-nice even light. No dark shadows, no hot spots

Color
4-the knives tend to blend in with the background, but with the tactical theme going on it is just fine. Nature of the beast sort of thing.

Clarity
4-everything is clean and visible

Creativity
4- it's a good well thought out shot. I'd have given it a 5 except for my concern about it not being about one subject but a group...

Ebbtide, thanks. Your right about the multiple subjects. This photo was intended to show a model or series of knives I make. I took some of individual blades that day, but kept thinking this one was best. I really like the pics you've been sharing, wish I could keep up!

Anthony, its a great shot. And now knowing what it was intended for I'd say you really hit the nail on the head.

There's no magic going on here.
It's all about practice and attention to detail.
Maybe a little luck too ;)

Awesome pic, as usual. I really like the reflection technique and infinity background look.

1. Composition 4 Again, OCD, but the image is cropped closer on the left, I'd like it centered a bit more.
2. Lighting 4 Seems a little dark to me, especially towards the rear of the scales.
3. Color 5 Love the background and the scale color.
4. Clarity 3 The pins look black. You can see them better in the reflection than the knife. And, is there a fingerprint on the blade?
5. Creativity 5 Again, I really like the background effect and I like the way the blade is positioned. Overall great pic, I love your style!

Now, "you" can tell me to shut up!

Last edited:
porch-2014BarbsDagger012_zps205a9bfb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey Mark. So you don't get overlooked.....I'll tell you what I see based on my preferences but again, I don't know what all this means coming from a total ametuer. :)

1. Composition- I'm torn here because I tend to link this with creativity I'd say a 2. The old wrinkled back ground is distracting to me.
2. Lighting- 4 Looks pretty good to me, well lit with not much for shadows. A few minor bright spots on the fittings but not bad to me.
3. Color- 4 also looks pretty good and pretty true to life to me
4. Clarity- 3 looks pretty clear to me, nothing blurry
5. Creativity 3 I'd go higher if the background was a little different. I like the them you created with the picture and the leather though.

One thing I see at least for me, we could make a second job out of collecting props and backgrounds for good photos.

Hey Mark. So you don't get overlooked.....I'll tell you what I see based on my preferences but again, I don't know what all this means coming from a total ametuer. :)

1. Composition- I'm torn here because I tend to link this with creativity I'd say a 2. The old wrinkled back ground is distracting to me.
2. Lighting- 4 Looks pretty good to me, well lit with not much for shadows. A few minor bright spots on the fittings but not bad to me.
3. Color- 4 also looks pretty good and pretty true to life to me
4. Clarity- 3 looks pretty clear to me, nothing blurry
5. Creativity 3 I'd go higher if the background was a little different. I like the them you created with the picture and the leather though.

One thing I see at least for me, we could make a second job out of collecting props and backgrounds for good photos.

I agree completely...
Duplicate ratings.

As for the poster I like it, but you don't have to show the whole thing.
The knife is the star, the others are extras.
Cropped closer, with the knife tipped a bit more it'd be a different shot.
I really like the way he looks at her, she looks at the knife and the knife leads you back to him completing the circle.
Cropping it close would reinforce that circle of interest.

100_6430.jpg

What to do on this one....
Composition... 2. Not bad, but not centered right IMO.
3's on the rest. Not bad, but just not good. I can't see any major flaws to correct... mostly because I can't see them. Educate me :)

Back