Making something for your lady that isn't a knife

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Or I might have titled this how to maybe get an extra hug and a kiss.
How about making her a pendant? Sure some fancy natural material like mammoth tooth or ivory or bone will work but I know a small piece of fancy wood just in a diamond shape or how about a piece of colored G-10 just cut in a rectangle say 1/8" thick . You can make a loop for it out out of some thin stainless wire or buy a pile of loops from places like Michels for a couple of bucks. Go to the dollar store and get a chain or two. Take off the little doees that are on it and use it. It won't rust and they are made quite strong and just for a dollar maybe. Damascus especially if it has some pure nickel in it can come out beautiful too, but I suggest heat coloring it to help avoiding rusting. It can work super for earings that go on those "shepard hooks" that you may have to buy at the jewellery store. I'll just bet you will be popular and if only for a few minutes it will be worth it. Don't give without the chain on it. It will be an incomplete thing and she will be dissapointed. Sort of like a knife without a blade. Just got one lady to make for? I have six ladies in the family now and like on Xmas if I give to one I try to give to all with something different for each. And they say if I want their friends would like one too. This ol' papa becomes real happy to see their smiles or to hear of their thanks !!! Give it a try !!! You will be surprised of the retun it will give you as well as your lady "friends". Frank

Sure wish I could send them Nick but I just can't do them. Perhaps in the future. Sure sorry about that People. With respect for you all. I still hope some of you will try something. With respect. Frank

Well, I will try to help the only way I can. Take a piece of burl wood and cut it about 2" long with a wideth at one end of say 7/8" and 1/2" at the other. Make this about 1/8" thick. It can also be thicker at the widest end. Maybe the second one? Now drill a 1/16" hole about 1/8" down in the center of the narrow end.This will be where the loop will go through. Finish up as you would for a handle. You can do the same but make the top positioned to one side. Ivory pieces especially those left after cutting up a larger piece may have a shape you think will work on their own, even being chunky. They will . Do them up with the nice sanding and polishing. My best tio you on all efforts. In truth I love pictures too. I hope I don't diasapoint Phil too much. Frank

I'm back again people, to encourage you again to pick up on this simple project. Did I say that any of the pearls done in any shape will make a lovely pendant ? They do. I'm here for any questions that don't require pictures. I'll have to bit the bullet and try the photography again. Frank

I've done stuff like that before. For my girlfriend I made a cross out of 1/8'' SS round stock. Milled out pockets in the steel and inlayed white MOP. Finished it all out and buffed it up real nice added a hoop and a white gold chain. She really, really liked it.
I've made some other crosses out of flat stock .080 Ti also. Milled out the center in another cross shape and fileworked and anodized them. Some I made necklaces and once I attached a nice thick ribbon to one to be used as a book mark I gave to my niece.

Hobby Lobby has all the fittings, chains, clasps etc. for making just such a thing....saw 'em yesterday while there getting leather wool swabs. (got those there too)

Good idea Frank!

Great to hear from you, guys. This may help to encourage others. My apprroach has not been any where near that artistic but the ladies still love them. Frank

OK guys, just finished this little piece before I got on the forum tonight and saw Frank's post. I made this little sea turtle pendant from an antique sterling silver spoon. Made a loop from the little bit of handle that was left on the spoon bowl. I made a ring from the rest of the handle portion. It is 1-9/16" long by 7/8" wide.
What do ya' think?
Bruce
attachment.php

That's one that, could be beyond me !!! It's a neatoooo, or for any younger Dogs, Very good.Great to have pictures isn't it !!!! Many thanks for the posting. Frank

I have made 3 for my wifie so far. One is mammoth ivory and two are damascus. All three are special to her especially the ivory one. It has our grand daughter scrimmed on it by Lori Ristensen.

Thank You Frank
The damacus ones were chopped off the end of a the damascus bar and would have been normally tossed in the scrap bin. I bet there are many makers that have beautiful "diamonds in the rough" laying around on the floor or thrown in a box under the bench. The ivory pennant was too short to use on a knife but perfect for jewelry. The real cost was the scrim artist but now its a family heirloom of Grandmothers.

Well people I did make seven medalions. One is made from some seymchsn meteorite and the others are all mammoth ivory curves and chunks. If you are doing one or going to do this simplistic project, I think the receiver will be real pleased !!! Frank

I made my wife some mammoth ivory ear rings last year, I've got a little piece of the blue that matches so I may make her a pennant to match them this year.

Thanks Frank, I've made her about all the knives she could ever use plus a couple ones for show so I had to switch to something else.:D

Here's a couple I made, they are abalone inlays and silver wire inlays. Dark one is ebony and the red one is padauk. Hope you like them. Dan
pendants.jpg

Back