A good camera? How much to spend?

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Any suggestions for a good camera in different price ranges?

how much should you spend for camera to take knife pictures?

I am going to totally make up a rule of thumb and suggest you should spend at least as much as you get for your best knife.

If you are going to get a point and shoot, look for a macro (close up function) and optical zoom. Ignore anything to do with a digital zoom. Digital zoom is horrible.

I have suggest this kit as a starting point to several before with good results:

Canon - Rebel T3i DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lenses

An older model still in production that has full manual controls and a lot of features also. This setup can be gotten around $500 on sale. Not only will you get some nice knife photos but, some family and vacation shots also. Easy to use. The only problem with it, your spouse will nearly always want to use it. Several years ago when I got my 40D, shortly after that I got my wife this camera body and a lens. She uses my 24-70 more than her lens I use her camera for some of my quick shots as it's always within reach and has my favorite lens on it.

Owner Beware !!!!!!

. The only problem with it, your spouse will nearly always want to use it. .

And everyone else your wife decides to lend it to. Here's how my new purchase went after everyone telling me how I absolutely needed this fancy do-dad to promote my work...including the queen. The following was without my knowledge or consent.

* I drop just about $400 on a Fuji S1000 with a bagful of stuff I don't even understand and the tripod.
* She decides that my camera would be better for whaterever....dismantles it from the tripod with the adapter plate in my shop and....chucks the adapter plate. I BUY A NEW TRIPOD.
* She decides MY camera needs to go to Alaska for a 2 week trip instead of the 2 cameras she has. 2 weeks later I get back a camera that's been stuffed in her purse.....the bag with the do-dads and the cable that downloads to my computer decided to stay in Alaska for an extended visit (permanently). I buy a new cable.....don't work. If I take pics, I have to have her do some long convoluted thing on her computer with the card and send them to my e-mail....then save to my computer. A $%@*&^ barrel of monkeys.
*HER relatives blow into town.....no camera. She decides MY camera wants to travel around New England with the relatives for 10 days instead of her 2 cameras. Camera gets dismantled yet again off the tripod in my shop with the adapter plate. 10 days later....I get a camera that won't shut off, adapter plate chucked yet again and flash won't work.
This is where it stands today.

I've never had anything but the disposable cameras my entire life and if they still make them, that's what I'm using. No-one ever wanted to borrow them. Hope you enjoy my cautionary tale.

Rudy

That's why I got my wife a camera with some bells and whistles. I keep mine normally put away. I borrow hers quickly as it's out. Being it's hers no one gets to use it. She's a commercial Realtor and it's a much needed tool that needs to be seriously cared for! I loan her a wide angle lens on occasion, which she cares for much better than I do.

In your case I would give her the current one and get yourself a new one, stating this is for the shop. Put a security cable on it so only you can take it out. I just remove my memory card, put it in my usb adapter and plug into my computer. Full access to my photos.

Now days any of the DSLR's from major manufacturers can take phenomenal pictures. The camera quality today is such that out of the camera images are such that there isnt a lot of difference (aside from megapixels) between the low end and high end dslr's. That being said image processing software and lighting skill will make the biggest difference in final image quality.

In your case I would give her the current one and get yourself a new one .

The current one isn't good enough anymore.....it's broken.:12:
I'll muddle through with it until it totally dies. I don't think I'll waste my money on another one. It won't really handicap me, luckily I hand over my knives to a dealer who gets around more than I do.

Rudy

This would be for cameras between $100 and $200.
i think cameras are like knives, cars and jobs, the best one is either the one you just had or the next one you are going to get. that said, i have a Fuji FinePix 4200, IMHO a good camera for someone who wants more than a point and shoot but does not have the $$$$ for a DSLR. a 20x lens, good display, pop up flash, secondary display so you can use it like an SLR, 14 megapixel resolution, price less than $200. takes decent 720p video, takes AA batteries(you can find 4 batteries and charger for <$10), included cable connects camera to standard USB port. It's replacement is the FinePix 4800 which has a 30x lens and 16Mp resolution, best price is $148 delivered.

The More $$ the Merrier :D You Don't necessarily need a $2000+ Body and a $2000+++ On a Lens to get great quality Pictures

But I would suggest a camera You can tether with= Hook a Wire from Camera to a Laptop to view your Photos full size, Not just Looking on the Camera review screen.This would save me a LOT of running up and downstairs. Up to Upload and Review, Back down to Re shoot the ones I don't like.

Example: http://www.tethertools.com/plugging-in/what-is-tethered-photography/

Shooting tethered to a laptop (or desktop) is certainly the way to go.

Concerning $$$ spent, it is one of those how much do you really need scenarios.

You could buy a budget rifle and kill deer every year with it and it would be fine.
Then if you want to punch paper at distance or shoot competitions you'd have to upgrade and spend more.
There comes a point where the money spent vs the increments of improvement become an inverse proportion… your spending more and more for smaller performance gains.

The decision is what is good enough for your uses.
Just shooting knives for the net?
You don't need the highest megapixel count.
You don't need super high ISO numbers either.

Everything is about compromises lol

Besides, as one of my favorite photo guys says "It's the 12" behind the camera that counts the most."

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I love to take pictures. I dont have a lot of money, but I stil think the Rebel is the way to go. I have researched them and have heard lots of great things about them.

Agreed 100% with shooting tethered.
I require it when taking product shots because it improve image quality several times over trying to see on the tiny Camera view screen.

Stabber, that tethered link is great.

I have something called an "Eye-Fi" memory card for my camera. It transfers photos between the camera and the computer wirelessly. Once set up properly (sometimes a chore), it saves a lot of time and hassles transferring pictures. It costs about $80.00 and is well worth it.

I know I'm not supposed to say this, but I've been using my Droid cell phone camera with what I would consider pretty decent results. It's an 8 megapixel and I can control the ISO, exposure, etc., In the highest quality they come out about 3500x2000 pixels (that's an exact guess) with good detail. I've got a cell phone clamp and a tripod and as long as you're not moving, it works pretty good...much better than my wifes iPhone and our Panasonic Lumix camera, and much easier to figure out the controls.

I know it's been said that cell phone cameras aren't the way to go, and I can understand that to a point, but is there a major flaw or something that gives a dedicated digital camera an advantage?

I am going to be the odd man out and say...spend more on the glass...having a decent entry level dslr with a good lens is going to get you about as far as anything..

But whatever you get..knowing how to use it is half the battle

N.N, if you are getting good results, you're doing good.

iPhone shot...

Top Tip:
Use a clean t-shirt for the background...

Back