$250 in knife supplies for ten week Knife Photo Contest - Improve your Knife Photo's

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Ten Week Knife photo contest.
Ten chances to win.

$250 in total gift certificate prizes
for knife making supplies sponsored by www.USAknifemaker.com

It's a fact better pictures of knives equals more money for a knife seller. The problem is that learning how to take great knife pictures is in many ways harder than learning how to make a great knife. Photography in general is exceptionally well documented. Knife photography is not. I want to change that and I will put my money where my mouth is.

In order to stimulate discussion and sharing of knife photography techniques here on KnifeDogs, www.USAknifemaker.com will sponsor a weekly knife photo contest. A $25 gift certificate will be given out each week over ten weeks for the weekly winner. Ten contests, ten chances to win simply by practicing a skill that will help you take better knife pictures. If no winner is selected one week for lack of participation (5 entries minimum), the prize gift certificate will be added to the next week(s) until there is a winner. We are committed to awarding $250 in gift certificates for knife supplies to support the knife community and to be honest, we wouldn't mind if you remembered who is actively supporting the knife community when making your knife making supplies purchases.

There has to be rules so here they are.

1. The weekly prize for the best knife picture is a $25 gift certificate from USAknifemaker.com redeemable for knife making supplies. If there is not a winner one week, the prize is added to the following weeks until given out.
  2. The intent of the knife picture contest is to share photography techniques, promote photography discussion and help everyone take better knife photos. Please include some dialog about your process when posting your entry.
  3. Winner to be determined by public poll voting open to all KnifeDog members for one week after the contest closes.
  4. There must be at least five entries or the photos carry over to the following week(s) until there is at least five entries. Prize gift certificates will accumulate until won by an entry.
  5. A photo can be entered at any time during the week prior to the weeks contest closing.
  6. Each weeks contest closes at midnight central time Sunday night and a new contest starts.
  7. Each entry photo can only used once. The same knife can be used as often as desired but not the same photo.
  8. Limit of one photo entry per week.
  9. Each entry photo is to have a knife (or multiples knives) as the focus point of the picture that would be used to show, sell or market a knife.
  10. Pictures not eligible include: some guy holding a knife mugging for the camera, someone using a knife like skinning or cleaning an animal, a picture where a knife is accidentally included or any picture where the knife is not the main subject.
  11. Any picture may be removed as ineligible by Bossdog. We are looking for knife pictures, not vacation pictures or cute puppy pictures that have marginal knife content. I doubt I will need to remove any pictures but sometimes people don't read all the rules either.
  12. The contest will run each week for ten weeks. We will review participation and interest in renewing the contest after that.
  13. The contest start date is December 1, 2014
  14. It would be appreciated, but is not required, that some explanation is given on photo techniques used for any entries.
  15. File size limits: Photos are to be no larger than 1000x1000pixels in size. Resolution is to be no higher than 96dpi. File size is to be no larger than 300k.
  16. Entry photos are to be uploaded to KnifeDogs.com to the Photo&video forum.. Links to hosted photos else where will not be accepted as an entry. You may post a link to a higher resolution/size image in addition to an uploaded photo but it will not be used in the voting process. For voting, we will move that weeks entries to a voting thread.
  17. Anyone is eligible to enter. Pro photographers are welcome and we hope you share knowledge. Amateurs should not under estimate their chances to win and should enter also. Like making a knife, you can't get better by just reading about it. You have to be hands on to improve your craft. I intend to enter weekly myself to brush up some rusty skills. Remember winners will be decided by public vote by knife makers and they will give credit where it is due.
  18. You can not vote for your own entry.
  19. The person entering the contest has to be the person that took the picture. You can not submit a picture taken of your knife by someone else.
  20. Rules may be added or modified at any time to help stay with in the spirit of the contest. The spirit of the contest is for us all to learn better knife photography techniques.

I have invited a few photo pro's I know to stop by and participate in some way.

The more that participate in this, the better for the community. Help spread the word and invite others.
thanks
t

Hey cool contest, I could use all the help I can get to take better pictures.
Now where did I pit that picture of my knife up to the guard in a pig?

(I'm kidding)

I think this is an awesome idea and I owe a lot of my own skill advancement to information found on various knife and photography forums. I'm definitely going to submit some photos with info on my techniques. Looking forward to it!

yes, good idea Boss. We could all use some info on home grown pictures. What if Chuck Norris is holding a Bump knife? Would that be OK?

yes, good idea Boss. We could all use some info on home grown pictures. What if Chuck Norris is holding a Bump knife? Would that be OK?

Of course it is, it's Chuck Norris.
sheesh.
I can't believe you even asked.

hey wait a minute! Those aren't Bump Blades Chuck is holding! So much for exclusive rights from Chuck Norris. I wonder what Sylvester Stallone is up to these days?

Last edited:
hey wait a minute! Those aren't Bump Blades Chuck is holding! So much for exclusive rights from Chuck Norris. I wonder what Sylvester Stallone is up to these days?

Photoshop says "What exclusive rights?" those are my knives :biggrin:

Give me a few days and I'll see what I can do. I've got a busy weekend getting ready to go out of town.

Shieldwolf knives

Ten Week Knife photo contest.
Ten chances to win.

$250 in total gift certificate prizes
for knife making supplies sponsored by www.USAknifemaker.com

It's a fact better pictures of knives equals more money for a knife seller. The problem is that learning how to take great knife pictures is in many ways harder than learning how to make a great knife. Photography in general is exceptionally well documented. Knife photography is not. I want to change that and I will put my money where my mouth is.

In order to stimulate discussion and sharing of knife photography techniques here on KnifeDogs, www.USAknifemaker.com will sponsor a weekly knife photo contest. A $25 gift certificate will be given out each week over ten weeks for the weekly winner. Ten contests, ten chances to win simply by practicing a skill that will help you take better knife pictures. If no winner is selected one week for lack of participation (5 entries minimum), the prize gift certificate will be added to the next week(s) until there is a winner. We are committed to awarding $250 in gift certificates for knife supplies to support the knife community and to be honest, we wouldn't mind if you remembered who is actively supporting the knife community when making your knife making supplies purchases.

There has to be rules so here they are.

1. The weekly prize for the best knife picture is a $25 gift certificate from USAknifemaker.com redeemable for knife making supplies. If there is not a winner one week, the prize is added to the following weeks until given out.
  2. The intent of the knife picture contest is to share photography techniques, promote photography discussion and help everyone take better knife photos. Please include some dialog about your process when posting your entry.
  3. Winner to be determined by public poll voting open to all KnifeDog members for one week after the contest closes.
  4. There must be at least five entries or the photos carry over to the following week(s) until there is at least five entries. Prize gift certificates will accumulate until won by an entry.
  5. A photo can be entered at any time during the week prior to the weeks contest closing.
  6. Each weeks contest closes at midnight central time Sunday night and a new contest starts.
  7. Each entry photo can only used once. The same knife can be used as often as desired but not the same photo.
  8. Limit of one photo entry per week.
  9. Each entry photo is to have a knife (or multiples knives) as the focus point of the picture that would be used to show, sell or market a knife.
  10. Pictures not eligible include: some guy holding a knife mugging for the camera, someone using a knife like skinning or cleaning an animal, a picture where a knife is accidentally included or any picture where the knife is not the main subject.
  11. Any picture may be removed as ineligible by Bossdog. We are looking for knife pictures, not vacation pictures or cute puppy pictures that have marginal knife content. I doubt I will need to remove any pictures but sometimes people don't read all the rules either.
  12. The contest will run each week for ten weeks. We will review participation and interest in renewing the contest after that.
  13. The contest start date is December 1, 2014
  14. It would be appreciated, but is not required, that some explanation is given on photo techniques used for any entries.
  15. File size limits: Photos are to be no larger than 1000x1000pixels in size. Resolution is to be no higher than 96dpi. File size is to be no larger than 300k.
  16. Entry photos are to be uploaded to KnifeDogs.com to the Photo&video forum.. Links to hosted photos else where will not be accepted as an entry. You may post a link to a higher resolution/size image in addition to an uploaded photo but it will not be used in the voting process. For voting, we will move that weeks entries to a voting thread.
  17. Anyone is eligible to enter. Pro photographers are welcome and we hope you share knowledge. Amateurs should not under estimate their chances to win and should enter also. Like making a knife, you can't get better by just reading about it. You have to be hands on to improve your craft. I intend to enter weekly myself to brush up some rusty skills. Remember winners will be decided by public vote by knife makers and they will give credit where it is due.
  18. You can not vote for your own entry.
  19. The person entering the contest has to be the person that took the picture. You can not submit a picture taken of your knife by someone else.
  20. Rules may be added or modified at any time to help stay with in the spirit of the contest. The spirit of the contest is for us all to learn better knife photography techniques.
Can we send in pictures before December 1? What E-mail address do we send the pictures to?

See the rules above. The pictures do not get emailed in. They are posted here, one at a time in the separate thread provided for that weeks contest.

Can we send in pictures before December 1? What E-mail address do we send the pictures to?

Question.
Is a photo that is hosted on photobucket and attached here like this

Acceptable for the contest?
Or do I have to actually upload it from my hard drive to the forum hosting?

The contest is a great idea… thank you :)

Question.
Is a photo that is hosted on photobucket and attached here like this

Acceptable for the contest?
Or do I have to actually upload it from my hard drive to the forum hosting?

The contest is a great idea… thank you :)

That at should be OK.
ill know more when's have to move images around into a voting thread. For now, it's good.

Back