Fillet Flipper prototype and its inspiration

F

Frank Fischer

I had an order for a fillet knife and decided to build two. One thing led to another, and the other snapped... It's created my newest line of knives, The Frank Fischer Fine Flipping Fillet Frame Locking Knives. ff, ffff, fff, frickin' ay, thats a lot to say. :p This one is the "F6", meaning FILLET with a 6" blade. Naturally I will offer the whole F-series in any size possible. I'm thinking all the way to a 12"er.

The fixed blade is 440c, with orange g-10 scales, as spec'd by the new owner. I textured the g-10, for as much grip as possible, only because I know how fun it is to fillet a fish with a slippery knife.

The flipper, weighing in at a mere 4oz., is also 440c, with .090" frames, lock side anodized blue, hidden choiles, my own "star bursting finish" around the holes, and serial numbered 001. I still have intentions of installing an over-sized pocket/belt clip, 'cause this guy will definitely be put to work and I've lost it a couple times already, IN MY POCKET! It's super thin at just over 1/4".

I ground them both to an even distill taper allowing the blade to lay almost completely flat on the table with the handle still firmly in your grip. These guys are razor sharp and ready to work.

Thanks for looking and any comments are always welcome.

Attachments

• presentation side org and folder.jpg
    presentation side org and folder.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 63
  • folder name close-up.jpg
    folder name close-up.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 35
  • org reflection.jpg
    org reflection.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 30
  • folder blue.jpg
    folder blue.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 43
  • flipper shot.jpg
    flipper shot.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody good idea, it looks good but I wonder if all the holes are a good thing as it seems like a good place for guts to stick and reside unless they are designed to be used as a method of rinsing the interior. I might suggest something with a bit of a grippy handle as well. If they are intended as not heavy user fish stickers then I would say keep them as they are, but as a saltwater tool it might be slippy for the odd trout would be ideal. Either way it looks really good. A lanyard hole would be good as on a boat things get dropped ( like my glasses overboard etc) and you dont always want to clip a wet knife in your pocket with wet hands.

Bloody good idea, it looks good but I wonder if all the holes are a good thing as it seems like a good place for guts to stick and reside unless they are designed to be used as a method of rinsing the interior. I might suggest something with a bit of a grippy handle as well. If they are intended as not heavy user fish stickers then I would say keep them as they are, but as a saltwater tool it might be slippy for the odd trout would be ideal. Either way it looks really good. A lanyard hole would be good as on a boat things get dropped ( like my glasses overboard etc) and you dont always want to clip a wet knife in your pocket with wet hands.

All very valid points, but none of which haven't been addressed already.
All future models will be simply orange peeled on the lock side providing a more slip resistant grip, and the holes contribute to the grip immensely. The holes also reduce a lot of weight, and large enough to easily blast any guts through it. They look cool, too. The clip will be almost full width of the knife and extending over the lock bar, providing multiple purposes, too. I designed it to accomodate a 2 1/2" belt, with lots of tension, which would be usefull to clip it to a wind sheild or center console, anywhere you can stick it. I also have a ti swinging lanyard loop to be seen on the future models, if I can swing it, it will latch flush when not in use. But other than that, its a 6" self contained, 4oz., flippin fillet knife, that can be tied off to a lanyard, clipped inside your pocket or outside on your pants or belt. Easy to clean, high chrome steel, titanium and ss screws and stand-offs. If a 6"er is to big, I have plans for a 4". Reasonably priced too.

Just an update on the flippers, #'s 002-008 have been reserved already! The new releases have been improved on, now coming with an s30v blade, they're a little broader to accommodate another stand-off, a pocket/belt clip, and a swinging lanyard system which hides in the frames, PICS COMING SOON!!!

Back