Tactical Folder Textured Ti, Ball Bearings

Three Sisters Forge

Forum Owner-Moderator
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phpus_oe_ec"]YouTube[/nomedia]

Vid of shop and latest efforts in Tactical folders.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi Jim.
I think you have something good there with this bearing addition and even the folder itself and how you give them different finishes, however, I couldn't figure how it all came together. How many bearings are used and what size for what deepth ? I guess you totally eliminate the washers? Perhaps you want to keep a copywrite on this? Frank

Details Details

I usually use .015 washers. The bearings are .0625 dia., so we cut into the blade and or liners a total of .0475. I have been fooling with where to take out the metal ; Blade or Liner or both. The IKBS system takes both.

The problem becomes the liner and using Ti. Many of my folders use liners Ti that are .040 thick, if you remove half the thickness you get some distortions at these load areas. The Ti will gall. In these folders I use .187 thick blades, so it makes sense to remove metal from the blade, it is also hardened steel. 3/16 pivot and ball bearings of 1/16 gives a 5/16 counterbore. We use VBX bearings.

We cut just short at .040 and then use clover compound to lap in.

I have looked all over for a manufactured enclosed bearing that will work in a folder. All the ones I have seen have too much rack.

I am going to start a string in this area of ball bearings.

Any thought ?/

The 1/8" I get comes in at .150 but mostly I do it with the 3/16 blades. You can also take .035 from the blade and .010 - .015" from the liners.

what is the purpose of the washer? I guess I done understand that part.

The 1/8" I get comes in at .150 but mostly I do it with the 3/16 blades. You can also take .035 from the blade and .010 - .015" from the liners.

what is the purpose of the washer? I guess I done understand that part.

When not using ball bearings, this is the space on .125 blades. Miss-spoketh.

Thanks to you all. Boy, I would think the bearings in the grooves could be the real thing in larger folders. I have used bearings in small folders. The bearings are 1/8" inside and 3/16" outside. I get them from Sheffield Knifemakers Supply, but because of their thickness their use is limited. In fact I have not found them to be of any advantage in smoothness to the blade movement. It does sould strange, but perhaps not enough mass is involved i9n the smaller folders. Frank

Hello Jim.
I want to say thanks again for the total information that even I can understand. Or I think I do. The bearings will be against the liners and the pivot as well in this application with a .015 spacing on each side of the blade. Frank

Back