Bayonet Refurb/ Upgrade Questions

roadapples

I have a M7 bayonet that I've been carrying around for quite a few years, (since I decided that the idea of getting a different bayonet everytime they were issued and spending way to much time sharpening and giving TLC to the point of wearing out my patience only to start over again was a non-winning situation) that I have decided to refurb/ refinish into a "presentation grade" desk ornament, that will still be uasable if really needed.

The question is with the government tolerences on the guard - big X shape hole were it fits on the blade/ OEM U shaped guard keeper to hold it somewhat steady; what opinoins are out there as to removing the wiggle of the guard on the blade?

This will also affect how I make a new burl maple handle- wrapped/ enclosed scales or drill through and notched out.

Has anyone tried to do this? Thoughts/ recommendations or should I just get my head examined, due to this will end up being a minumum of 3 to do (if mine turns out I'll have to make 2 more for my former battle buddies)

Thanks in advance for input and suggestions!

I finally got a few pictures together to show what my concern/ question on attaching the barrel ring/ guard to the blade.
101_1709.jpg
101_1713.jpg
101_1708.jpg

The oversize slot doesn't look like it can be soldered due to the size of the gap.

Attachments

• 101_1711.jpg
    101_1711.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 10
JB Weld will attach the guard & pommel securely. As long as you aren't putting on a tightly compressed leather handle. After it sets up, it's almost as hard as steel. And can filed, sanded and painted to match other finish colors.

Last edited:
Back