Purple Scales?????

D

DandS

Hey everyone....My Daughter, Chloe Beth, wants us to build her a "Purple Knife" to give to Santa Claus because Santa don't know how to build knives:).....So Skyler and I are looking for Purple Handle material options...Purple Heart we've got but not Purple enough according to her...maybe Diamond wood or the Acrylic type materials??? We always use wood or bone/ Stag so out of our comfort zone...Any advice as to Purple Scales???? Anyone got any for Sale?

I tried aniline dye once on a maple burl slab. It sure did turn the wood into a bright purple color nature never intended. I bet if you checked with Tandy Leather you could get a bright purple leather dye and use it on a white wood like curly or quilted maple. I would shape and sand the handle, then dye the wood and lightly sand afterward followed by a clear top coat of lacquer or even CA glue. Just my opinion but would be a low cost solution.

My daughter wanted a purple knife a few years ago also. I went with some purple stained maple scales, she was very happy with it. I think i got them from texas knife makers supply.

WSSI will do a purple dye when they stabilize. I have never used that color myself, but there are photos somewhere on BF from the past year or two of a really cool knife with purple WSSI handle/scales. I'd check with Mike at WSSI and see if he has any purple maple or box elder laying around.

Erin

I think you should reconsider the purple heart. You can burn it with a heat gun and it will darken and deepen the color of the purple. You can control the depth all the way to an almost black color.

I had a box of tiger maple blocks dyed and stabilized by Mike at WSSI, various colors, including purple. All of it turned out great and with brilliant colors.

Heres those pics you asked for. I have double dyed box elder and dyed maple, the birdseye is gone. The box elder is violet / teal and fades from purple to blue, while the maple is more of a traditional purple color.

w.jpg

Back