Old hands should inspire.

Fred Rowe

Someone left feedback for me on another forum that stated, I was a good man to deal with. I try. I took pride in the comment as any of us would. But further down the post the young maker said he thought my work was stunning and that it inspired him to see the knives that I made.
It is nice to know that people like your knives, but what is more important is that your work inspires younger makers.
We older makers will not and should not go on forever, but we should give back to the knife community as a whole, by tutoring new makers, giving guidance where we can and most of all giving our best efforts so as to inspire the new makers that will take our place.
There is no better feeling than to see someone you have apprenticed, hit their stride and become accomplished makers in their own right.

These thoughts came about after a hammerin a couple of weeks back at my place, where as I looked around the shop I saw the walking wounded. One with throat cancer, one with prostate another had just had open heart surgery and another had an upper spine replacement. We had a couple of guys there that were in there thirties also.
The next hammerin we hold I am going to make sure and have people of all ages attend; teens and twenties included, hoping we might inspire a young one to become one of the futures great makers.

Fred

There is no greater honor than the respect of one's peers, and no greater feeling than teaching what little you know. Chad

Fred,

Old folks like us need to share what little we know. It won't be long and we will be gone. I think back on some of the folks that are now gone to a better place and wonder why I didn't spent more time picking their brains about the knowledge they they had to offer.

I'm 62 and my days are numbered. I would love to have an individual with a thirst for knowledge come and spend some time with me. I may not have much to offer, but it sure would make me feel better just passing what little I know down for future generations.

Robert

Robert, it will be a while before my training schedule will permit me, but I'd love to come visit your shop. I have admired your work both here and on BF in the past few months and I would enjoy the opportunity to visit with you given the opportunity.

Fred, Burton asked if I could attend your last hammerin and I could not make it. I would be more than happy to come down and learn some new things. I have skills that have yet to be discovered.:D Keep me posted on the date for the next one.

Mike Morehouse

Robert, it will be a while before my training schedule will permit me, but I'd love to come visit your shop. I have admired your work both here and on BF in the past few months and I would enjoy the opportunity to visit with you given the opportunity.

Murph,

You just let me know when your schedule allows. I would love to have you come by and spend some time.

Robert

Fred,

Even in the short time I've been active in the knifemaking community I've learned of the "Knifemakers Spirit". At least thats what I call it.

It is displayed by the vast majority of experienced makers who will not only freely share there knowledge, advice, tips, and tricks with all who ask, but will in addition make unsolicited offers to help out newer makers. Invititations to shops, giving and sharing of materials, and freindship in general are the norm from my experience.

I've been extremely fortunate thus far with the assistance from other makers who've taken an active part in MY development as a maker. Leading by example is IMHO the best and proper way to raise future generations of makers such as myself. Although I am certainly a beginner by seniority standards I've went to great lengths to learn as much as humanly possible about all aspects of knifemaking thus far so I try my best to give back by assisting other newbies as best I can or pointing them in the right direction to find answers to their questions.

It all kinda reminds me of the Old Bull and the Young Bull on the top of the hill.

Just thought I'd take a minute to thank you and all the other Old Bulls and say it's a true pleasure being one of the Young and thanks for living by "The Knifemakers Spirit"

-Josh

Fred,

Old folks like us need to share what little we know. It won't be long and we will be gone. I think back on some of the folks that are now gone to a better place and wonder why I didn't spent more time picking their brains about the knowledge they they had to offer.

I'm 62 and my days are numbered. I would love to have an individual with a thirst for knowledge come and spend some time with me. I may not have much to offer, but it sure would make me feel better just passing what little I know down for future generations.

Robert

Rebel knife makers though a bit crusty last a good long time. You are still a youngun in my book.:D

Hey Fred, Im up for it. Let me know when that next one is. I think you are kind of close to me.

Sean

I post on line when we have the next one. You are welcome here.

Fred, Burton asked if I could attend your last hammerin and I could not make it. I would be more than happy to come down and learn some new things. I have skills that have yet to be discovered.:D Keep me posted on the date for the next one.

Mike Morehouse
Mike,

I wish you could have made it. We had a great day with aged venison and jalapeno poppers for lunch. We were a little slugish after the food and took some time to get moving, but what the heck we talked knives and after a bit of coaxing got the forges running again in the afternoon.
We'll give you a holler for the next one.

Fred,

Even in the short time I've been active in the knifemaking community I've learned of the "Knifemakers Spirit". At least thats what I call it.

It is displayed by the vast majority of experienced makers who will not only freely share there knowledge, advice, tips, and tricks with all who ask, but will in addition make unsolicited offers to help out newer makers. Invititations to shops, giving and sharing of materials, and freindship in general are the norm from my experience.

I've been extremely fortunate thus far with the assistance from other makers who've taken an active part in MY development as a maker. Leading by example is IMHO the best and proper way to raise future generations of makers such as myself. Although I am certainly a beginner by seniority standards I've went to great lengths to learn as much as humanly possible about all aspects of knifemaking thus far so I try my best to give back by assisting other newbies as best I can or pointing them in the right direction to find answers to their questions.

It all kinda reminds me of the Old Bull and the Young Bull on the top of the hill.

Just thought I'd take a minute to thank you and all the other Old Bulls and say it's a true pleasure being one of the Young and thanks for living by "The Knifemakers Spirit"

-Josh

Thank you Josh and well said too.

Go there, you wont be sorry! :D

Back