Satin finnish

I am trying to find out how to do a satin finnish on a knife blade. All of the knives i have made have been mirrir pollish. If anyone could help that would be great.

I do mine by handsanding. Start at 220 and alternate grits and directions until you get the desired finish. I usually stop at 400, 600, or 800 grit. Be sure your final finish runs the lenghth of the blade. Be sure to remove all scratches from previous grit before going to the next grit. Hope this helps.

I also hand sand, usually up to around 600 grit.

If you want a nice machine satin finish, you can use scotchbrite or the similar Klingspor belts. Take your grind to around 400 or so, then switch to a fine scotchbrite belt.

--nathan

Well, I will give an easy way to do this, though I'll bet some will say "well I tried this or that" and others will not even concider it. Go buy a quart or whatever of Mobil 1. The grade won't matter. Place this on the blade and you can sand back and forth and get an even finish without fish hooks or streaks. Even 220 looks pretty darn good, but go where you want. Too simple for what can be at times such an aggravating job. Try it you will like the results if you use the Mobil 1. Frank

Well, I will give an easy way to do this, though I'll bet some will say "well I tried this or that" and others will not even concider it. Go buy a quart or whatever of Mobil 1. The grade won't matter. Place this on the blade and you can sand back and forth and get an even finish without fish hooks or streaks. Even 220 looks pretty darn good, but go where you want. Too simple for what can be at times such an aggravating job. Try it you will like the results if you use the Mobil 1. Frank

Just curious. What does the Mobile 1 and sanding do to cause the satin finish? I'm really interested.

If you were REALLY interested you would try it. BUT, I will tell you since it was a question to my post. The simple answer is Mobile 1 keeps the grit in susprension. Frank

Go with the same sanding blocksor hard rubber or whatever you used before as backing. Your heart will jump to see what can be done with so much ease. Frank

I tried something differant the other day. To get a real satin finish I used fine valve lapping compound on 400 grit sand paper I knida like it. I don't have a close up picture.

Last edited:
I hope the lapping compound did't cost a lot. It will just ruin your grind lines as well as provide other problems . Frank

Frank
Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! for the tip on the Mobile one. Tried it tonight and LOVED the finish I got, not just quicker, but a much cleaner finish than I have been getting with the black ice paper Ive been using. I compared an 800 grit wet sanded blade to a 400 grit Mobile One sanded blade, I was shocked!

Again thank you Frank, as well as all the others for being so generous with these "trade secrets"

God Bless
Mike

I'm as pleased to know you are pleased and as much as you are. I have posted this many times but there seems to be an attitude that it won't work and why even bother to try it. Even 220 looks pretty darn good !!!!. Frank

I too want to thank you Frank, works great. I find it seems to take less paper to reach desired finish and seems to give a grit or two higher than you actually finish up with. Do you agree or am I imagining this. Anyway thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I can see where that would likely work well. I'll have to give it a shot sometime. Right now I use honing oil for the same purpose: keeps the grit in suspension, but the thin honing oil tends to dry up quickly.

--nathan

Hey Fred.
I'm surprised you didn't carch up with this before but , I'm not surprised you will try it. It works so easy!!! I've posted this several times before and never even had a reply . This was a "second thought" to post again in this new site. Fred, you too will be pleased to see the results you get. Frank

Thanks you for the tip. I found a knife today that had gotten it's finish scratch to heck and back and plained on working on it over the weekend. I'm going to give it a try for sure.

Back