4 new knifes in the works....with pic's

B

brianblade

Well I have 4 new knifes in the works.Here is what im working with...just waiting on the handle pins,they will be here today...Any thoughts?
10.jpg

crap540.jpg

crap538.jpg

crap546.jpg

crap550.jpg

the wood is
Nicaraguan cocobolo,
Bubinga rosewood,
Wenge,
Bocote,

for hidden pins could i drill a hole half way on the back side of the scales put the pins in and then epoxy?or do you think the handles might come off after time?just a thought?

for hidden pins could i drill a hole half way on the back side of the scales put the pins in and then epoxy?or do you think the handles might come off after time?just a thought?

I have done hidden pins like this previously and they work but I use threaded stainless screws rather than pins. The threads provide a much stronger attachment to the epoxy.

Where possible, I make a small undercut in the holes in the grip. Never had one fail. The largest sized screws I use are 1/4" and these provide a more than adequate attachment. Sometimes, I even cut a thread in the tang itself and screw the pin into the tang, prior to mounting the scales. Just a bit of insurance that they don't seperate. Probably overkill but it works for me.

Terry

I love the wood as well,,,I had to buy 10 sets of scales to get the 4 i really wanted....lol
I gess in going to have to make more knifes...
Im going to start playing with making blades asap.Im going to my moms house next week to get my grandfathers anvil and all his tools-lots of tools.at one time he had a full shop out in the back of his farm.I remember seeing them as a kid and now i find out they has been in the family for many Generations...
I think im the 7th or 8th man to have it passed down to.WOW...
We lived in the DEEP south and our familys were blacksmiths and welders,,,Im told thats where my last name weller comes from...It is nice to find out this stuff now that im getting older.

here are a few new pic's of my work...
started like this today
crap550.jpg

stuff007.jpg

stuff008.jpg

stuff009.jpg

stuff010.jpg

stuff013.jpg

stuff012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back