First "real sword?"

DanielFrazee

When you see a pic hunk of metal you just have to think- I could make a sword out of that! Take one good american made farrier's rasp, grind most of the teeth off of the rasp side, forge a little, grind a little, wait, wait, mess around in the shop, wait........... 3 years after starting- get around to finishing. (oh wait, still not sharp, needs touch up, sheath etc.)

12.75" blade, 22.5" overall, differentially heat treated by me. Chechen wood handle with mosaic pin and forged wrought iron guard.

DSC04027.jpg

I really want to make more but... I have got to get some other knives done first.:bud: Dan

Check em

Just check the end of it first. Forge it out thin, get to non magnetic, quench it in water and then try to break it in the vice. If it breaks- it hardened. Then proceed as usual. It ain't that pretty but is was fun. Next up is a much bigger dao looking sword. Dan

Hey I think you can make a real samurai sword out of that.
But this also looks cool.

That's a major piece of "cuttin" steel! And "for the record", swords are as collectible as knives. I collect knives, swords, and straight razors. As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to buy a new sword this week. So by all means, make more and show us.

Back