What video camera should I buy...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
Well I have a lot of knowledge when it comes to still photography but, not much about video. I'm headed to Blade and would like to do some video while I'm there. I would like a camera that is not to large, has a reasonable optical zoom, uses memory cards so I can upload easily, carry various memory cards, and with a microphone input jack.

Is there anything else I should add to this list? Any recommendations on which one to purchase would be appreciated.

I will be carrying one of my Canon DSLRs with a 24-70 2.8 and maybe a wide angle lens.

Hope to try and see all the Dogs I can meet while I am there. Thank you,

George

George,
My Ipad II seems far better at pics and videos that the previous Digital Cameras I have purchased. I can load and publish the pictures too and am starting to learn how to do the same with videos.

I am not a real Camera geek, but I suggest you check one out.

What kind of Cannon DSLR do you have? Here at MKS we use a T2i to film some of our stuff, and personally I use a T3i for my freelance projects. If you have a smaller lens, like an 18-55 you should be fine. Why carry more cameras then you need to? Kill two birds with one stone! But note that DSLR video fills up cards fast, and you can only record in 12 min segments.
DLSR's and audio isn't great tho. I would suggest using a separate recording device(A suggestion for this, and top of the market right now- Zoom H4N, the H1N's aren't to bad either), and then syncing the two up in an editing program. Again, for that here at MKS and at home on my personal editing machine, I use Adobe Premiere. It is an affordable, straight forward, and solid program that you can get the hang of after watching a few tutorials online.

Have fun at the show!

Laurence,

I tried my daughter's iPad, it would be good for hand held in the shop work. I think it would not work as well on the road for me. I will try some field work with it this weekend.

Nate,

I have a couple of 40D bodies in my current line up and lens that cover 10mm to 500mm including 5 L lenes that are f2.8 or better. I was hoping for something a bit lighter but, I will probably end up switching out both of these in the long run. I agree that your idea maybe the best solution. Maybe for now pack a Rebel as my second body and mainly use it for video . That would give me the backup still camera and video with a good range of lens coverage.

Thanks guys!

Youngest daughter gave me her older Nikon S4100 to try out on the weekend also. It's very small, fits in my pocket, limited features but, has a tripod screw so it can be used on a tripod if needed. I will look into the Zoom device for audio.

Back