Forge question??

forge question

Stabber
I know a knife maker that runs his forge on natural gas. You would need a bigger orfice I belive. My propane forge has a number 56 drill hole for the orfice you would have to go probally a little bigger.We run blower motors also wich bumps the BTU output. Dont know if it works on venturi forges.

I am not an expert but we run our BBQ on Natural Gas. I wouldn't think that a forge would work since the mains gas isn't at high enough pressure.

Stabber found out A little more info for you. You would have to have a 15 lb seperate regulator on your meter. They offer up to 25lb .Natural gas runs about half the BTU that propane, so your orfice would be closer to number 37 to 38 depending on the size of your forge. You will need a forced air set up, my friends is 110 cfm but he recomended 150 would be better to push more volume. Here is a cost comparson Let's assume the cost for natural gas is $15.00 per 1,000 cubic feet. This means that $15.00 will purchase approximately 1.03 million BTU's of energy. This would be equivalent to 11.26 gallons of propane. At $2.50 per gallon of propane, natural gas would be a more cost effective . Breaking it down even further, natural gas needs to be more than $28.00 per 1,000 cubic feet for propane to be a more cost effective energy solution (provided the cost for propane is $2.50 per gallon. Now that being said if you are looking for forgewelding temperatures its a little tough to get to, but forging temperatures easy. Like any thing there are pros and cons

Last edited:
Billy thanks for the info. I had been wondering this because I have a gas line out to my shop.
Now to figure out the forced air and how to get it to welding temps.

Billy thanks for the info. I had been wondering this because I have a gas line out to my shop.
Now to figure out the forced air and how to get it to welding temps.

James the line to your shop probally only has ounces of pressure . The line would have to be hooked up to the meter with its own regulator,most supply lines run around 30 psi. I checked on this with my gas supplyer it was around two fifty for the part and install . I is A little much for me. THANKS

Well I hope it would pay for its self after awhile. It is a black line but not sure about what shape it is in. So will run new out there. Just checked.

Back