Looking for input on a new camera

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Hi Gang!

Well, my old Sony H5 camera is on it's last leg.....a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my pics were getting pink bands on each side of the image(s)......then it got darker and darker, finally becoming vertical red bars of each image. Did some asking around to local photographers....and they say the CMOS in my camera is going/gone bad. I've taken all my own photos for about 10 years now, and have had this camera for about 6-8 years. It's only a 7mp camera, so it's time to upgrade!

OK, that's the back story, now I need input from others. I personally like Sony cameras, but will take any advice, on any brand/model. The reason I've been stuck on Sony are the lens......from what I have been able to glean from the web, and other sources, most modern camera have plastic lens.....but Sony still used the Ziess (glass) lens. Anyway, I'd sure be happy to hear from folks with more knowledge then I have! :) What's YOUR recommendation for a new camera (I'd like to keep it under $1k)

Ed, I have a sony A350 and love it. Very easy to use (great menu system), many macro accessories, great quality pictures and a solid construction. Now if I could only learn the photoshop and posting part without spending hours and getting totally frustrated. Teddy

Ed, I use to buy Sony in the day. Their service after warranty period has changed. Their position in my case became one that did not meet my needs. I switched to Canon. I currently have two high end bodies and several L type lens. I have given the Canon two lens kit as gifts to family members. I believe you will find the the T3i will more the fill your needs. You can if up need upgrade to other lens if you feel the need or your use of the camera requires it.

Check it out:
http://m.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100075344.html

I got the ones I gifted from my local store.

I used to use Canon SLRs. They're undoubtedly good cameras. A couple of years ago I switched to
the micro-4/3 system by Olympus and Panasonic. The optical quality is similar (very, very good with
good lenses) but the bodies and lenses are A LOT smaller and lighter. The latest bodies (I'm now using
a Panasonic GX-7) are outside of your price range but there are lots of deals available on older models.

IMO, the Olympus kit zoom is junk but there are very good non-zoom lenses available at reasonable
prices that are well suited for things like knife photography. Better zooms are also available at higher
prices.

On advantage of going with a camera system is that you can start with a simple body and lens and
add items as you need them and can afford them. Kind of like a KMG-1 :)

Nowadays you'd probably have to try pretty hard to get a bad camera.
The Canon kit linked to above will do you fine.
I use similar, a Rebel Xsi, with the same lenses and I'm quite happy.
At work I have access to and have used the 5D and L glass.
It's great but if you are going to shoot table top (knives) on a tripod and use them for the web, the 5D could be called overkill.

The big advantage for the top of the line cameras is low light ability and the added sharpness for big enlargements.

I recently purchased an Olympus TG-2. It has excellent macro capabilities for detail work, is shockproof, waterproof, and more importantly idiot proof. My photo capabilities improved by 100% right out of the box. I paid about $450 for the camera and a 32gb memory card on Amazon.

Ed,
After going thru a few lower Nikons over the years the thing that I have found that works best for ebay to website pictures is my Ipad.
I haven't had any of my site pics upgraded yet, but being able to shoot decent pictures and load them on ebay all with the same unit is great. I can't remember the pm rating but its 10 or 12 mp on the ipad.

If someone you know has one or if there is a Apple store in your town? I think you will be very impressed with the whole system for home use as a camera and puter in one.

Back