3/32 1095

v-6

I have been doing 1095 3/16 for about 2 years and only had 2 or 3 blades bow.
now i'm trying 1095 3/32 and they bow during cool down this is after i bring them out of quench. please someone tell me how do you keep it from doing this. this is what i been doing.
bring to 1500, quench in parks 50 as soon as it has had a little time in the oil, i take it to the anvil and make sure it is straight and then let it cool .
heck i even took and placed it between two plates and clamped them down.
opened the plates up and had a bow in it.
:eek:bump1
vern

What side of your mouth is your tongue hanging out of? That could be it. :D Sounds like you need to bend the blades further to get out the bow. Do you have a bending jig similar to what Wayne Goddard has in a book or two? If you do try using it when your doing the temper cycle. Take the bow a little ways beyond straight using the bending jig. Check it then and if it isn't gone put it back into the oven and let it soak a few minutes and try again except this time take it beyond your last try. Secret is not taking to far and end up with two pieces. You could also try Moran's trick by pouring water on one side of the blade after you remove it from the oven. Usually if I were to do steel as thin as 3/32 most the grinding would be done after heat treat.

What side of your mouth is your tongue hanging out of? That could be it. :D Sounds like you need to bend the blades further to get out the bow. Do you have a bending jig similar to what Wayne Goddard has in a book or two? If you do try using it when your doing the temper cycle. Take the bow a little ways beyond straight using the bending jig. Check it then and if it isn't gone put it back into the oven and let it soak a few minutes and try again except this time take it beyond your last try. Secret is not taking to far and end up with two pieces. You could also try Moran's trick by pouring water on one side of the blade after you remove it from the oven. Usually if I were to do steel as thin as 3/32 most the grinding would be done after heat treat.

that is what i did ht and then i was going to grind.
thanks Raymond
vern urock1

Raymond every thing worked out fine . 2thumbs
thaaaaaaaaank you
vern

Raymond do you bring your quench oil up to temperature up to at least 125 degrees, before you quench the blade. Also I try not to lay the blade on any cold steel untill complet cool down It will suck the heat out of one side on the thin stuff. Hope you get it figured out best of luck.

BH

Back