idea for building a chart/resource

olpappy

I was thinking to myself the other day that it would be nice to have data on carbide volume, carbide size range, edge stability etc. of different steels in a chart, since these properties would be useful in deciding what applications a given steel might be good at as well as deciding how one might want to sharpen it regarding edge angles, geometry, grits to use, etc.

This type of information is not often available for comparison because it is not really collected in one place anywhere, does anyone else think it might be a worthwhile project to try and build a resource like this in this subforum? Any other properties which should be included which would similarly impact edge performance/maintenance?

I don't have sufficient knife knowledge nor internet savvy to make something like this happen, but it would be nice if people with expertise or knowledge about a particular steel could contribute and we eventually end up with a nice resource to share?? I think something like this would be particularly interesting with the newer cpm steels!!

Last edited:
Back