Some of my recent work

Dacks

I'm new to the forum, so for introduction I thought I'd post a bit of my recent work. I'm a hobby maker with about 20 knives built to date.

Thanks for looking. :D

This is a large Sgain Dubh I made for my father-in-law.
Blade: 3/16 01 steel w/ fileworked spine, 1000 grit satin finish
Handle: African Blackwood, White Birch burl, carnuba wax finish
Sheath: Suede lined African Blackwood

sgaindhub025.jpg

sgaindhub026.jpg

update039.jpg

update041.jpg

update042.jpg

update045.jpg

[/quote]

sgaindhub027.jpg

Black Point Hunter:
Blade 3/16 O1 steel, hand rubbed 1000 grit satin finish, file worked spine
Handle: Weathered Moose antler, Red Maple burl, Birch Bark, carnuba wax finish.
Sheath:
- 1/4" thick Red Maple scales with some crazy grain and brilliant chatoyance. Same wood piece as the knife.
- Fully lined with dark brown suede
- Birch bark welt
- Weathered moose antler sheath tip and concho.
- 8-9 oz veg-tan strap with antiqued steel snap

sgaindhub059.jpg

sgaindhub058.jpg

sgaindhub042.jpg

sgaindhub091.jpg

sgaindhub098.jpg

sgaindhub093.jpg

sgaindhub072.jpg

sgaindhub097.jpg

sgaindhub081.jpg

sgaindhub073.jpg

Maritime Machete:
Blade: 3/16 01 steel, hand rubbed 1000 grit satin/Scotch Brite finish, fully file worked spine and handle.
Handle: Waterfall bubinga scales, ebony pins, carnuba wax finish
Sheath/Scabbard: Bubinga body, full leather welt, fully leather lined, 8-9 oz veg tan leather belt loop w/ detachable shoulder strap.
machete030.jpg

maritimemachete014.jpg

maritimemachete019.jpg

maritimemachete020.jpg

maritimemachete025.jpg

Cholla and Birch:
Blade: 3/16 O1 steel, 1000 grit hand rubbed satin finish
Handle: Figured Yellow Birch, Staghorn Cholla cactus, Ebony and Bloodwood spacers, turned O1 ring-pommel on butt end.
Sheath: 9-10 oz veg tan leather.
sgaindhub010.jpg

sgaindhub009.jpg

sgaindhub011.jpg

sgaindhub012.jpg

sgaindhub014.jpg

sgaindhub015.jpg

sgaindhub016.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dacks,

I like your use of the antler on your black point hunter. I would be interested to see how well it holds up after 6 months - 1 year of use. I know it's hard stuff but I wonder if it's hard enough to be used as a loop? I hope so as it looks great!

Dacks,
I don't know which I like best... the bladework or the sheaths. They are both outstanding. Keep it up sir.2thumbs

Stew, Gary - Thank you for the compliments.

Stew - I'd be worried if this loop was part of a large chopper, or other design where it may be subjected to considerably greater stress than on this piece. I think on a hunter like this a lanyard loop is more decorative then functional and wouldn't be tugged on to hard.

That said..... This is one I built for myself and I will be using it, so it'll be a learning experience over time.

I try to build what I see in my head, and that's the image I tried to bring to life.

Last edited:
Dacks,
All of your knives are very, very nice. It's nice to see your creativity come to life, you have a good eye. Can't pick a favorite out of that bunch, they are all beautiful.
Bruce

Very nice work. I love the use of woods. I like the drift wood as well. I havnt seen that before.

Thank you all for your gracious comments.

Gahagan - If you're referring to the shots of my Kukri/machete, they were taken on our farm on the shore of the Northumberland Straight outside of Pictou, Nova Scotia. Every storm brings a new load of poles washed up on the beach. We've had 25foot high tangled piles of thousands of poles dumped there in one storm, only to be washed away come the next blow.

This was a relatively calm day.... for once. :eek:

Thanks again.

Dack's first of all,welcome to the forum. Secondly ,you have some very nice pieces of work there. I look forward to seeing more

Back