Please some information on folding tacticals

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
I'm wanting to get a little involved in tacticals but within my own design limits.
Should the blade be longer than 3 1/2" ?
Should the spacer be solid or should stand offs be used ?
Are double bolsters acceptable or is this too much weight ?
Are man made materials for scales preffered over natural ones ?
I will appreciate everyones input . Thanks Frank

Should the blade be longer than 3 1/2" ?
If you want to appeal to a mass market, 3.25-3.5 works well for most applications. Most folks that buy are just normal dudes, who carry in a pair of jeans/cargo shorts. Anything longer is not that comfortable. For strictly tactical purposes, 3.75 inch blade is my choice for flight suit or ABU/ACU. The pockets are deeper, so the extra lengh scales don't make any difference. Less of a market for longer blades though...from what I've seen. I carry 4 knives on my person (2 folders and 2 fixed blades), and none have blades longer than 3.5 inches.

Should the spacer be solid or should stand offs be used?
My aircrew folder has a titanium spacer. I like it, because it protects the knife from getting things wedged (coins are bad) in the scales or touching the blade edge. That said, it does take a little cleaning with a Q-tip and can of air once in a while to blow it out. I usually clip the folder to the top flight suit pocket, so it can be deployed easily...and so it doesn't rub on stuff in my pocket. So, it might not be an issue of it doesn't rest in the bottom of the pocket. both have their advantages/disadvantages...I don't think either would keep me from a purchase if I liked the knife.

Are double bolsters acceptable or is this too much weight?
Tough bolsters, then lightweight scales for my taste. If there is a purpose for double bolsters, then fine...but you would have to have a reason. Plus, I don't really like the double bolster look on anything besides a slipjoint.

Are man made materials for scales preffered over natural ones?
Waterproof/sweat proof is very important for a knive that lives in the pocket of deployed personnel. I like micarta, but would not want it on a knife that lives in a soaked flight suit. G10 (many many colors) is tough as hell, light weight, appeals to the tactical market. My aircrew folder has hand checkered scales on the mark side. Some sort of texture can make a big difference in grip. If you want to use wood, then I would suggest using stabilized wood.

Good luck in the market...very competitive. Lots of production models to compete with too. If you can come up with a very usable design and sell it for $250 or less, you might sell volumes. If they go for $300+, you will sell a lot less unless you come up with something very unique.

My nickels worth...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're the knife maker -- just make what you want. That may not sound like much help, but if you make what you like, then it will show in your work.

Tactical- For Who ??

We got into folders when I kept getting folders that needed modification. This overwhelmed my one man and one dirty dog operation. I asked for a wish list. There were two very distinct areas of demand; 3" and 1.5", but same requests. This list came from military, police, hunters and bellas.

-Liners: Ti, bead blasted or textured. Finger grip indents on liners. NO SCALES ! One piece, solid.
-Blade: Penetrating and slash edge, false edge with serrations on short blade for thumb stabilization.
-Thumb stud on one side. Stud on clip side tended to catch on drawing.
-Clip high on the frame to hide knife, total coverage.
-Skeleton back for easy cleaning.
-Bronze bushings or ball bearings for smooth operation, space of > .010 to liner to resist drag.
-Lock angle of 7-8.5 degrees, lock bar face same angle.
-T-8 heads to allow solid tightening of fixtures.
-Full screw assembly, no push pins to allow disassembly: repair / cleaning.

The shorter tactical has big with my wife and her buddies. They use them for biking/hiking clipped to a Camelback, or waist band/ pocket for social wear.

The $200.00 range is an SOB to meet and not do another lost leader.

Enjoy, questions and smart ass remarks welcome.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 16
Frank, don't sell yourself short with what you think your design limits are. I see hundreds of designs a month. Just use your imagination and create what you think is right. You will be amazed what you come up with if you remove limits. Heck, I'll even CAD it up for you to make sure it works if you like. cool 1

I also say make what YOU like!!

I like what I like. It may not be what you like.

I love blades that are 3 inches, I happen to LOVE double bolsters.

Back