First post - my latest creation, the H.U.L.K. - size does matter...

• Thread starter Todd Fischer Knives
  • Start date
T

Todd Fischer Knives

Hey everybody,

I started this knife early this year - it was one of the goals I had established for myself in 2009 - and needed to get it finished, so I worked on it doggedly for the last couple of weeks. Here's the result:

I call it the H.U.L.K. - which is an acronym for Huge Unnecessarily Large Knife. Yeah, I suck at naming stuff. The name will make sense in a minute though.

This knife is a leaf spring powered D.A. auto, and it's a clip release. If you're unfamiliar, you squeeze the clip and it fires the knife. My goal was to build an extra large auto and the clip release made the most sense to me, in theory at least, because of the grip you needed to have on the knife to fire it. Turns out I was right - it works better than I'd dared to hope. Two big hurdles to clear - building the massive spring and the amount of torque it applied to the sear mechanism. The sear in a clip release mounts lengthwise and the torque exerted by the spring causes it to twist in it's mounts. I developed a sear mechanism that effectively overcomes that torque, even with this giant spring. the spring is the largest I've made, as long as a lot of knives. A lot of heat treat experiments resulted in a spring that's powerful, durable and retains it's original set. For a very large auto, this thing is fast.

The knife has a 7" blade and is 15" open, hence the name, H.U.L.K. (huge unnecessarily large knife). I'm sorry, I just can't come up with a cool dramatic name; I am nomenclaturaly challenged.

Specs:

Blade - .220" x 7" my damascus 1095/15n20, Tanto grind
OAL - 15"
Liners - .107 Ti, jeweled
Boslters - Ti, heat colored
Backspacer - Ti, with divots machined in
Clip - Ti, machined and mounted in a machined pocket
Scales - green G-10
Thumbstuds - Ambi, cnc step machined Ti with G-10 inlays

I'm planning a series of these in clip release auto, in varying sizes, like H.U.L.K. Junior, H.U.L.K. Baby, etc

here's a like to a video of it opening http://www.fischercustomknives.com/FoldingKnives.html

Enjoy the pics - comments, questions welcome. There's a pic below of the knife with my S&W 1006, for perspective. A 1006 is about like a 1911 gov't model in size. And the next one shows it with my wifes edc, with about a 3" blade.

THANKS!
todd

Attachments

• h.u.l.k.ls open 1.jpg
    h.u.l.k.ls open 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 65
  • h.u.l.k.rs open1.jpg
    h.u.l.k.rs open1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 51
  • h.u.l.k. spine.jpg
    h.u.l.k. spine.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 49
  • h.u.l.k. 1006.jpg
    h.u.l.k. 1006.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 57
  • with small knife1.jpg
    with small knife1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 45
Todd, that is one fine looking S.O.B. (that's an acronym for.....oh, never mind). I read your post first and was expecting to see some gross looking zombie slasher but this knife looks great. And your damascus does too. Is there some kind of locking mechanism to keep this beast from firing unexpectedly? Anyway, great knife and great workmanship.

Last edited:
Zombie slasher...there's an idea for a knife.

The clip has to depress a small diameter button (.15") that's slightly lower than the scale. It takes a fair amount of force to fire it and when it's in your pocket, your pants prevent it from firing. You could hardly fire it by accident; it would have to be very deliberate and your ring finger needs to be right over the button that's under the clip. My sear mechanism is a very secure design - dropping the knife (which I did before it was finished) or smacking it against a hard surface won't fire it.

Thanks for the kind words!

man that thing is HUGE...I didn't see the scale until i looked at the video.

Back