My #6 with Rawhide sheath & 1st sale

Josh Dabney

Here's my 6th knife completed. It was designed to specifically target folks into Cowboy Action Shooting. I designed and made my first rawhide sheath at the request of the customer and just finished it up.

As always critiques, critisizms, and comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Specs- 6" cutting edge, 11 7/8" OAL
-1080 steel, edge quenched. The darkest part of blade shows the first quech line which I wasn't satisfied with. It's hard to get a good pic but there is a second quench line that runs mid blade all the way through the ricasso.
-Home dyed cowbone scales
-Brass bolsters & pins
-Scrubbed the dark out of the makers mark :( but it is deep and crisp otherwise
-Tapered tang and distal taper
-False clip

Sheath- Rawhide over veg-tan (saddle stitched) (Thanks John Cohea !)
-All antiqued brass hardware Tacks, Beads, Cones with horsehair)

cowboy1001.jpg

cowboy1002.jpg

cowboy1003.jpg

cowboy1004.jpg

cowboy1006.jpg

More pics to follow... :D

Jason, looks right fine to me! I will bet all those pins were a PITA but they turned out really good. Looks like you got a good peen on all of them. So You cut your teeth on rawhide! :D Thats a pun boy! :bud: All stuff aside it looks good the stuff is not as bad as the rep it gets. What did you use for the hair tufts? Overall I would give it a big 2thumbs

After goig to the sheaths section I saw something about the handle that made me come back and reread the knife's specs again. KUDOS on the handle I did not realize till I read again and saw it was home dyed cowbone. Excellent work and another double thumbsup!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Josh,
Now that is a nice looking package. I'll bet you had a great time with this project and woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it when you were near completion (I always do). Grate work. Wade

Excellent work Josh; "Old school", traditional knives are the best. Love the the blade contours, and the sheath turned out great too. Scalphunter.

I don't know how I can add much to all those compliments, but that's one of the nicest knives I've seen in a long time. I like everything about it, and all those other cowboy shooters are going to be jealous as hell of your customer!

Did you peen or spin those pins? That really looks fine. You nailed this one big time. Dang, I wish I could make knives... Let me add some more thumbsup to C Craft's...

2thumbs2thumbs2thumbs

Fan-freakin-tastic.

Thanks alot for the compliments fellas !

Cliff, The tuft's are made from horse hair. I got directions for dying the bone from someone I consider to be a reliable source, LRB. The dye job dosent look nearly as good as Wick's but admitadly I did NOT follow his instructions to the letter and instead used what I had on hand. They are acceptable and do look kinda cool but I feel confident that I'll get a better result next time around.

Dave, These pins are all peened the good ole' fashioned way... by hand with a ball pein hammer :) It would have taken 20 seconds to cut them flat on the grinder but I really wanted them peened so I spent approx 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing nothing but that, LOL. I was fairly nervous about cracking the bone during this operation but I took it slow and easy and the scales came through just fine. 20 pin heads peened over bone scales without a crack... I'm pretty proud of that, but perhaps it's not as hard as I imagined.

-Josh

Back