15N20 Quench Speed?

TASelf

The most official looking info I can find on 15N20 as a mono-steel says to "oil quench" but not at what rate.
I've got a Medium speed commercial quench; but would like to know if that should be expected to get my 15N20 in .130 and .095 thickness fully hard.
I've also got a brine that I'm pretty happy with which is supposedly high-sulphur spring water running through my property and a surfactant. Should I start with the brine instead of the medium speed oil?

I've never had warp issues from either of the quenchants I am currently using.

Thanks in advance! Tom

Last edited:
I thought that I had some notes on 15N20 but if I do I can't find them. The 2% nickel should move the nose of the curve to the right so the 15N20 shouldn't be nearly as quick to convert as 1070. I would try the oil first and see how that does but if you are comfortable with your spring water it should get it as hard as it's going to get. I just don't like using a quenchant that is quicker than is needed due to the added stress it puts the steel through while quenching.

Doug

I did some testing years back on some 15N20 bandsaw blades from the mill (later verified by the mill's sawfiler to indeed be 15N20).

At the time, I was using ATF for quenching (room temperature). These are my results.
---------------------------------------------------------

Harden - Preheat oven to 1500 - turco blades and soak 10 minutes at temp. Quench in Oil - I got RHC 62 +/-

Temper 2 hours (twice) (I only did once for these tests)

375 - RHC 59-60
425 - RHC 58-59
650 - RHC 54 - should be good for backsprings with a tough steel like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps you find a starting point.

Rob!

Your med. speed oil should do fine. I haven't tried it but I've heard of people quenching 15N20 for 2-3 seconds and finishing between quench plates to reduce warpage. Let us know how it works out.

Back